PDA

View Full Version : 300ex trans

d kelley
11-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Can I assemble a 300 ex trans without the reverse idler assm. if I am not using reverse? what is the best switch to use for a starter button while replacing the stock starter button assm?

Sjorge450R
11-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by d kelley
Can I assemble a 300 ex trans without the reverse idler assm. if I am not using reverse? what is the best switch to use for a starter button while replacing the stock starter button assm?

i'd like to say yes, but im not sure. I am quite familiar with teh 300 ex tranny but I think something with the weight balance on each side of the crank would throw the crank off. Why did you loose your idler gear???? Also, as for the starter button, just use a dirt bike kill switch. I used the KTM starter switch off of i believe the 525 bike.

wolf91
11-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes you can take all of the reverse gears out. We done it on our race bike!

d kelley
11-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about it to reduce rotating mass inside the cases. Havent lost anything yet luckly!

250X_project
11-25-2006, 08:36 AM
EVERYTHING for reverse on these engines weighs less than 5lbs, so it's not worth it unless you absolutely never use reverse and only race or what ever (still a pain for under 3lbs)....My engine has it removed and I wish it didn't. I'm putting it back this spring.

I just weighed the stuff for the heck of it and it weighs a max of 2.5lbs for all the reverse and decompression linkages and the idler. Idler it's self weights about 1lb.....just some relatively useless info..

d kelley
11-25-2006, 06:05 PM
That is impressive man, thank you very much!

250X_project
11-25-2006, 07:23 PM
lol Thank you. I'm glad to help. :D

Sjorge450R
11-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 250X_project
EVERYTHING for reverse on these engines weighs less than 5lbs, so it's not worth it unless you absolutely never use reverse and only race or what ever (still a pain for under 3lbs)....My engine has it removed and I wish it didn't. I'm putting it back this spring.

I just weighed the stuff for the heck of it and it weighs a max of 2.5lbs for all the reverse and decompression linkages and the idler. Idler it's self weights about 1lb.....just some relatively useless info..

yes it may only be about 5 lbs, but its much less rotating mass, which means more power. This is the perfect thing for an MXer to do, not as much as a good thing for a XC racer.

250X_project
11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Can you even feel a difference?

2muchquad
11-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Can you even feel a difference?

I wouldnt think there would be a noticeable difference doing this mod,a few ounces of rotating mass off the flywheel would make a difference but not removing the reverse gear.Taking it out to save 3 lbs when after the first turn theres 10lbs of mud under the fenders:D

250X_project
11-26-2006, 07:49 AM
LMAO. I don't know, I understand the flywheel, being it is directly on the crank, but reverse gear? I don't know. Any one every try this and actually feel a difference?

I guess everything's worth a try to win a race though...

by the way where do they take material off the flywheel to lighten it?