PDA

View Full Version : Ordering my X-mas presents!

yellow400ex05
11-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm getting ready to order some parts for my quad.. And one of them is the Hotcam stage 2. I feel as if i might buy the wrong one or not have power where i want it.

Which one has a harder hit of power like a 450 and which power comes more gradually?? The stage 1 or 2? and how much low end would i sacrafice with a stage 2 and would my tire and gearing setup of stock 14 tooth with 38 tooth sprockets in the rear and 18 inch kenda's in the back make up for the loss?

I also want to know how the power of both cams hit. Like does the stage one come on hard hitting like a 450 or does it come on smooth and gradually? same for the stage 2.

yellow400ex05
11-24-2006, 10:11 AM
anyone????????

lpmaster
11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
depending ont he motor, the stage 2 usually hits harder when you get up on it. and the stage 1 hits more gradually, im still not sure which one i like better, as far as losing low-end, i feel i did lose some umph down low when switching ffrom a stage 1 to a stage 2 but i also changed compression and bore sizes at the same time, so......

Colby@C&DRacing
11-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Are you using the stock piston or is it a high compression one??

yellow400ex05
11-26-2006, 04:00 PM
stock piston

lpmaster
11-26-2006, 04:31 PM
with a stock piston, you'll be much happier with a stage 1 cam

yellow400ex05
11-26-2006, 05:29 PM
i want mostly harder hitting power and accel with a little top end gain for all the long straights and feilds. I want mostly low to mid range power with a little gain on top range.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
The stg 1 is the only cam that is going to work well with the stock piston

Def-e-nition
11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey Colby , clear up two peoples mess , as I am in the same boat .
i tried ordering a stage 1 hotcam , and the supplier insists on trying to sell me a stage 2 .
now i keep telling him that with the intake valve staying open Longer , on a standard bore/engine i simply CANNOT justify stage 2 , the more he keeps telling me to go stage 2 .

i have Paid for a cam , and want one in by next week . Both are the same price .

He has now got me doubting myself . I firmly believe that ona standard motor , stage 1 is the Cam to go for .

I kept telling him : if the time comes to go bigger bore someday , by that time , if i have the money to do the bore , i can always sell the Stage 1 and BUY stage 2 then .

By installing stage 2 now , i reckon it would be a waste . He disagrees with me , and by thursday i want to have enough info to tell him that i think stage 1 it is .

so : would running a stage 2 cam Not work ? My reason for saying no , is due to the duration being too long . AM i right , or is he correct by trying to sell me a stage 2 ??????

hell , confusion has finally set in ..
Thanks colbs ':confused:

Colby@C&DRacing
11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
You are correct the duration on the stg 2 cam on a stock compression motor which results in loss of bottom end power. A stg 2 cam on a stock motor will feel like it has more power but actually has a loss. The stg 1 is the best option for stock compression... I am not saying the stg 2 won't work. I tell people if they plan on doing a piston in the near future get the stg 2 but if not get the stg 1 and sell it later. Hope this helps

Def-e-nition
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
thansk Colby .

i can see your answer is bordering on the safe side . however , i feel the same way : dont skimp on the cam , 2 would work , but if you could buy Both now , you'd slip the stage 1 in first , and then when the bore gets done : stage 2 . so , that in itself would answer my question .
i feel that the stage 2 is not Meant for standard engines . it seems to tally up with what most have said : stage 1 is a good cam to run with , stage 2 works once you have started doing the head , porting etc . i strongly feel that way . Maybe im playing it safe , well , then so be it .
stage 1 it is , unless someone on here can back up a stage 2 choice for a standard motor with proof to tell me otherwise .
i mean , if my hang time before doing the head is a year , that means for a whole YEAR im going to be riding a stage 2 , fit mostly for a head conversion ?When i could /should be running stage1 , correct ?

Thank you . he also suggested possibly a slight dip in the power , but i reckon until such time as i've made a mod : stage 1 is the better choice . every mod i make also makes the bike more thirsty , and in an enduro , believe me , thats the last thing i need ...

lpmaster
11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
i used both in a stock motor, i had a slip-on, 450r carb, k&n and the stage 1 made my motor strong all the way around, where as the stage 2 just wouldnt do it for me stock, not even on top, my motor just couldnt pull it. the stage 1 made me feel like i had a new motor, you'll be happy with the stage 1 with a stock bore

Def-e-nition
11-27-2006, 11:04 AM
ahhh.. some light from the West .
Many thanks man , a second opinion always makes a man feel better . I had my doubts about the stage 2 for now , so thanks alot for the Info . you've had both , which means that you Know how both pulled in the stock engine .

great .

04TRX400EX
11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
I've had very similar questions between what cam to choose. I plan on doing a high-comp piston or a bore at the same time as the cam so I guess I will be going with a Stage 2. Good.