PDA

View Full Version : Is it possable to put a counter balancer in a 450R?

Lorduss
09-13-2002, 06:17 PM
im wondering if its possable to put a counterbalancer in the engine, i realise the block might need to be machined, but cant a engine builder make a counterbalancer ?

im considering buying the 450R dirtbike. and along with that, through honda i can buy a spare 450R engine to pop in my quad, as i understand vibrations are a problem,
if someone could explane to my the physics behind why exactly id like to know, let alone, why wouldnt it be possable ? how much larger is the counter balancer than the stock crank setup.

im realy interested in this engine,

honda400exrider
09-13-2002, 06:22 PM
as far as im aware of, they dont make a 450r. if u mean the 450f well idk, but.....

trx400ex
09-13-2002, 06:37 PM
he means CRF450R...you dont need to do anything to counterbalance it, just stick it in the frame

Lorduss
09-13-2002, 09:33 PM
The CRF450R engine, has no counter balancer, as ive read in every related post to fitting that engine into a 400ex letalone any quad relates to intense vibrations, im trying to figer out in advance how to reduce vibrations...

trx400ex
09-13-2002, 10:19 PM
someone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure the yz426 and crf450r engines do not vibrate to much and are fine in quad chassis,, the cr250 and big bore fourstrokes (650) is where you have to worry

airheadedduner
09-14-2002, 01:47 AM
THe crf don't vibrate bad enough to need a counter balencer.

Lorduss
09-14-2002, 12:03 PM
they dont ? odd, i could sware ive read posts relating to that engine and people saying it would cause intense vibrations,
does anyone know if they make a mounting kit for the 450R?

im realy glad to hear this actually. nowi just gotta get by the kick start.

09-14-2002, 12:11 PM
well the yz 426 has a counter balancer and i am sure the 450f would 2 being that it's a fast reving 4-stroke. maybe you shouldn't listen to most people on the internet.. most people talk out of their asses

phatswinn
09-14-2002, 02:59 PM
yea most people donno what there talking about, they should be fine in a quad chassis, teams all over the place are using them for races and you never hear about viberations from it.... ovcourse i might be wrong, never owned or ridden one.

beerock
09-14-2002, 03:57 PM
a 450r on a trx250r bototm end will vibrate even with a counter balancer, as well as the mac racing 500r on the trx250r bottom end...

the reason it does this is because the piston is just to large in mass for the stock counterbalancer to get rid of the vibration...

Th cr500 motor will shake the **** out of a quad...

the crf450 motor does not need a counte rbalancer, wouldnt you thin honda engineers would have given the motor one if it needed it???

I dont think you have read all the topics correctly.

but then again, there are a bunch of people who think they know what there saying is right, but there misinforming people.

maybe your a case of misinformation...

This is why alot of people get in arguments with me(or elsewhere with other people who know things about motors) because they get misinformed on the net and will swear by the info they have in there head that it is true........NOT

everyone wants to be a know it all but it depends on where you get your info.....try to verify hings before you swear by it...

I always do that, I see your doing that right here.

well what do you have in mind?
are you building a crf450 quad?

440ex kid
09-14-2002, 05:40 PM
S.M.A is right. The yz426 has a counter balancer, and so does a crf450.

Lorduss
09-14-2002, 11:35 PM
thanks for the info guys,
i realise most people tend to talk stright out of there asses, but when alot of people agree about one thing i tend to belive that it might be true, im very happy to hear differently,
ive seen the crf450 in alot of quads, moreso than any other engine, never in person though, online and mags only..

thing is, i own a honda 400ex, and ive been thinking about the best high preformance engine i can get my hands on, when it came down to it, modifying my current engine would be expensive, and dropping 3K into my current engine would barley get it up to the HP that 450 has, of corse its a expensive engine, but its worth it, i also like that its liquid cooled and not dry sump, i also like that its honda, and i can get parts for it anywhere, i like leaving behind the dry sump, i also like gaining a kick start, these are all things i highly desire more than you can imagen,

about the vibrations, being mostly piston related, i droped by a honda dealer today to pick up a brochur on the crf450r, im impressed with how small the piston is, truly, that is small... i can see where it wouldnt have much vibration at all,

personaly, i want to buy a Crf450 dirt bike for my self, ive wanted a 2 wheeler for years, but a quad to, ive had my 400ex for 8 months, now that i got a goverment job, in 3 months or so ill go down to honda dealer and buy the bike,
and once i own it, i can buy a spare though honda for less than 4K through sparks racing,

i realy wanna pop this engine in my quad, i think its what it deserves, no tall 5th gear, no electric start, no dry sump, no lack of liquid cooling, its lighter in weight. icould keep going.

allthough, i understand its a high maintence engine, can someone enlighten me on exactly how much it needs? i do understand the piston has a short life, id like to go without changing my piston constantly, but i dont mind changing it. its some thing i need to learn how to do anyways.

beerock
09-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Lorduss
i also like gaining a kick start.

:huh umm you may say that now but every r owner is jealous of the 400 because of that electric start....

although I dont mind kick....

when you have a bad day and keep stalling youll get annoyed with it.

the crf motor is a awesome way to go, but youll need to really beef up your stock frame for it. becaus eof the almopst double power it has.....

I have heard of people running them a long time without changeing the piston...

Lorduss
09-17-2002, 02:58 AM
thanks for the info about the piston, i still prefer kick, even when it wont start, i go to glamis, and other desert locations, i like having a kick over battery, especially because when your battery gos dead, or wiring connection fails, your screwed, and if your out in the middle of glamis, theres a chance your bike wont be there when you get back, id rather have the kick. any day.

yeah, i have a pic of a stock frame beefed up for the 450R, so i have a good idea on how to do it, by then ill also have a welder, this project is still a little ways off, how do most people mount there 450Rs ? cant use stock mounts can you ?