PDA

View Full Version : 400ex ckoke removal hole plug

jmonje
11-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Re: the instructions for the 400ex choke removal at

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/choke400ex.html

Step 5. The hole pictured in Figure #2 needs to be plugged. Put something over the hole and use a hose clamp to secure it. The hole is plugged in Figure #3.

The “something” (mentioned in the article) that goes over the choke shaft hole is a thread protector for a 3/8” bolt. I got one at Ace Hardware. It cost a quarter, and fits perfectly. I could not find one at Lowes or Home depot.

Hondabeefast
11-23-2006, 07:10 AM
i was wondering what they used as that "something" LOL.how did this mod turn out for you? I'm thinking about doing it to my bike.

jmonje
11-23-2006, 09:07 AM
the removal worked fine - just like the article sez. the bike starts great without the choke (in arizona). i did not need to change the pilot.

i removed the choke in conjunction with adding a K&N filter, outerwear filter, EHS airbox cover, dynojet kit, removed and plugged the snorkel, and changed to a 14t front sprocket. So i can't really tell you if the choke removal alone was beneficial. But overall, these relatively cheap and easy mods made a big difference.

flauge
11-23-2006, 04:28 PM
I did the mod by itself and it made a difference, mainly in throttle response. Also if you have a stock exhaust still, that 42 pilot might be a bit much. when i did mine all i had was a uni filter and an ehs lid, i tryed the 42 but it would try to flood out and fart black smoke. I put the stock one back in and adjusted the screw out a lil more and it runs perfect now..
The "something" i used was a vaccum cap and a hose clamp.:cool:

Kaleigh
11-23-2006, 08:59 PM
All I did was take the flap off with the 2 screws... the yellow lever is still in there and now there is only the lil bar that holds the flap there.. seems to work fine.. when i find something to plug the whole then ill take the rest out.. :macho

flauge
11-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
All I did was take the flap off with the 2 screws... the yellow lever is still in there and now there is only the lil bar that holds the flap there.. seems to work fine.. when i find something to plug the whole then ill take the rest out.. :macho Hmm i figured that the bar was the restrictive part, i bet you'll be able to tell a difference whenever you take the rest out..:)

Kaleigh
11-24-2006, 11:21 PM
i dont think it will make much difference if i take the bar out.. most the restriction is from the plate..