PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tamers Pros/Cons

JJs450r
11-22-2006, 09:51 PM
i race mx and was thinkin about switching to the turf tamers and was wonder how they compare to rarz/holeshots for the holeshot and outta turns and if there just a good tirea ll around so if i you can leave some pros and cons itd be great thanks

MXracer16
11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
The biggest Pro with tamers is their weight, they are lighter then pretty much everyother tire out there. They work very good on hardpack, and if you groove them right, they work good on soft dirt too. As for the cons, they are only 2 ply and need to be grooved for softer dirt. Hope this helps.

MD450r
11-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Ive only riden on the ungrooved turf tamers once since I have gotten them. Before the tamers I had razrs and before razrs I had mxr4s. The tamers have the best forward and turning traction of the others on dry hardpack. Turning in softer dirt, the tamers dont hook up as well. The straight line hook up of the holeshot and the razr seem the same to me. Turning on loose terrain the holeshot turn a little better and do a better job of keeping the quad from two wheeling. On hard pack turns the holeshots are more predictable and hook up better than the razrs. I am running the 11 wide tamers.

Aaron

JJs450r
11-23-2006, 12:39 PM
thanks it helps out alot how bout the mxr6 vs the mxr4

sonorarider
11-23-2006, 01:25 PM
i have turf tamers on my 89shee and they have help up quite well considering they are 2ply, i do agree they hook up quite well in the hard stuff, went through a set of 160 mitchell wheels now douglas, now have 190 and are holding up ok...

trx400exxracer
11-23-2006, 07:16 PM
have you thought about Kenda klaw mx one of my friends has the on here (Brad77) and he said he liked them. He said they hold their tread good and you can turn the tires around!!! One way for hard and one way for soft packed dirt

ohh and they are like $50 a tire:eek2:

JJs450r
11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
i have em now there not that great i ran the razrs for a while and they were a hole lot better

trx400exxracer
11-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
i have em now there not that great i ran the razrs for a while and they were a hole lot better

what about the knarlies

I heard of alot of folks that liked them!

JJs450r
11-24-2006, 09:43 PM
i think imma give hole shots a try or just go back with razrs

redroost85
11-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I always raced with tamers...when our track was tacky to dry, those things hooked up like a suno***un!:devil:

The biggest pro for me was their ability to corner...you could determine how much you wanted them to hook or slide...whereas with say mx4's, I couldn't get them to slide the way I wanted in the turns...it hooked up too much for me...just my experience.;)

exrider49
11-27-2006, 08:58 AM
my friend has the knarly mx's and they hook up really good for the holeshot but they suck in the turns, you 2-wheel the corners alot, he likes his razr mx's better because there better in cornering

11-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
have you thought about Kenda klaw mx one of my friends has the on here (Brad77) and he said he liked them. He said they hold their tread good and you can turn the tires around!!! One way for hard and one way for soft packed dirt

ohh and they are like $50 a tire:eek2:

I have claw rears and they are crap.

I cant hook up at all. With the tires i can bairly pull a wheelie. I even get wheel spin on the road taking off fast.

When they were new they hooked up good but after 25% wore off they sucked. They do last a long time though.

JessetheKid
11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
grooved tamers are great for tacky and hard packed, but they are no good for wet tracks, they pack up really easy. I did prefer them over holeshots and kenda's. It is best to groove them that way they clean out easily and hook up better.

deathman53
11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I like tamers, but again, I mainly ride on hard dry tacks. I have kenda knarly mx on two quads also, the kenda knarly's are much better on a wet, loose track, tamers will just pack-up and spin. One track I ride at, I use duro flat track tires. For a general tire: kenda knarly mx.

DEVINF450R
12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I have heard awesome things from some top A riders that holeshot SX's hook up great in loose and hardpack..they said they pull more outdoor holeshots with the SX than they did with MXR6's...that is more than one guy saying this too. I hear Klaws are the best tire up front. My razrs push bad...but I like the rears

KingpinsEx
12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I have run the holeshots and turf tamers for mx and its kind of a draw. They both work great, but i think it all depends on your riding style. Because of the weight, (tamer being lighter) its easier to keep the revs up without shifting. Which can be very benefical for mx. Of course i am running them on my 400ex, which lacks alot of power compared to the 450s so im not sure how they would respond. But i know i can lug the ex a gear higher with the tamers than i can with the holeshots, which i like. You get alot more traction with the holeshots but in my opinion the tamers handle better....

400exrider707
12-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
My razrs push bad...but I like the rears

Pushing in the front end has a lot to do with your suspension setup. (castor/camber) My buddys 450R which is definitely not setup correctly pushes horribly. Also on the R's going with a +1 forward a-arm also will make it push even more.

I have run nearly every MX tire available to atv's, for dry hardpack - grooved tamers 18x9.5x8 and grooved radial fronts.

Soft/loose dirt - kenda knarly MX rear (single handedly the best hooking up tire in a straight line) and then almost any mx front tire, they're all pretty good.

j450rking
12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
i have turf tamers and thay are 4 ply i do like them much better than the hole shots i had befor but i have mostly hard packed land and thay last forever

another tire to consider is gbc shredders also call ground buster 2s i have shredders on the front of my ex and thay are the best front tire i have ever used

thay are allso 4 ply

DEVINF450R
12-05-2006, 02:41 PM
for mx a 4-ply tire is uneeded extra weight (in the rear anyways) and do shredders come in a 20 inch front tire? I would like to get the rears...anyone ever use these to Race mx?

400exrider707
12-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
i have turf tamers and thay are 4 ply i do like them much better than the hole shots i had befor but i have mostly hard packed land and thay last forever

another tire to consider is gbc shredders also call ground buster 2s i have shredders on the front of my ex and thay are the best front tire i have ever used

thay are allso 4 ply

I dont know about 20in tamers, but I know the 18's are 2-ply, thats why they are so light weight. Also shredders are a decent tire for the front, their rear tires however are really only good on hardpack.

j450rking
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE]shredders are a decent tire for the front, their rear tires however are really only good on hardpack.

as i said i ride on mostly hard packed land

DEVINF450R
12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
So now I am down to 4..Razr mx, ITP MXR6, ITP SX, Kenda Knarly
I have razr's now but they aren't the best in the really loose stuff and in the loamy holeshots

400exrider707
12-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
[QUOTE]shredders are a decent tire for the front, their rear tires however are really only good on hardpack.

as i said i ride on mostly hard packed land

Which holeshots did you use?