PDA

View Full Version : ugent please help my swingarm bolt wont come out

hardcoreclown33
09-13-2002, 04:08 PM
ok well im supposed to ride 2 days from now and i decided to replace my swing arm bearings well sounds easier then it is my swing arm bolt wont come off ive tried penatrating oil an bashing on it impact tools and cant get it to move at all so if any1 could give me help id appreciate it very much thanxs alot

Ben
09-14-2002, 06:52 AM
I assume you have put a jack under the part of the swingarm where the bolt runs through? Razorbackex had this same problem and I don't know if he ever fixed it but he was going to try using a torch to slightly heat up the surrounding piece of the swingarm to try to coax it out. Once in awhile I have had luck removing stuck swingarm bolts by simply "unscrewing" them right through the swingarm. Good luck :)

Ben
09-14-2002, 07:06 AM
Ooops - forgot to mention the help in the FAQ section. See if that clears it up for you :)

ride300exred
09-14-2002, 08:54 AM
I just got a little father into the project , I heated it sprayed it pounded it and gave it my best I had a 16 pound sledge on it .
I cut one side and tried to pry it out ,
NO luck
I hate this friggin bolt .
I need help majorly I dont know what else I can do ????

Extremeracer167
09-14-2002, 10:04 AM
The best thing to do is have someone move the swingarm up and down while u beat on it. They are stubborn to get out the first time. But u shouldnt have the same problem after that. What u might have to do is drill some small holes in the swingarm and put some grease fittings. Then lube it up real good. But only do that if u are for sure replaceing the bearings right away, cuase then u will have metal shavings in your bearings.

forum
09-15-2002, 02:43 PM
I got the same problem but now i curled the end of the bolt by bashing it too hard. I've tryed heat and moving it up and down. It still wont move. I'll be missing a race next week now too. Can anyone else help us out???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

ride300exred
09-15-2002, 06:44 PM
This is what I did .
I pounded with the nut screwed on with the edge and I had Pd blaster on it wd 40 and liquid wrench . Then we put a jack on the frame and held the quad up we disconnected the subframe and rear shock we raised the swingaso it was at about a 5 degee angle upwards so there was about 1 inch from the swingarm to the bolt we cut a peice off so we were able to spray pb blaster in the stuck spot (engine).
We then drilled the inside of the head of the bolt and kned it off with a chisel we sprayed it and let it sit overnight, next day we pounded and pounded on each side then we got the sawzall and cut the ends off both sides by cutting between the frame and the swingarms we just put a 1/2 piece of metal in side to side and started hitting back and forth till it broke loose.
It was a long long time but I finally got it out I was thrilled.

stocktires
09-15-2002, 10:35 PM
I've been through this already. A big hammer is your worst tool to use. But If the bolt isnt frozen too much, you can bump it right out.
My dad beat on mine till my frame cracked and the bolt mushroomed all out. So then I took a sawzall and cut it off.
I wish I would have cut it off in the first place, before my dad got ahold of it.
If you really wana get the bolt out. Cut it and buy a new one.

Teufel
09-16-2002, 07:46 AM
It is seized up in the collars. Cut it out with the sawzall, saturate it in penetrarting oil ect.
Remember next time to periodicall remove the bolt and put a healthy supply of antiseize on it, oh and grease the bearing while you are there. This bit of preventive maintenance can save alot of trouble.

forum
09-16-2002, 08:02 AM
where do I cut it??

stocktires
09-16-2002, 04:46 PM
between the frame and the swingarm.
You should have to buy atleast one new bushing and seal, possibly more

ride300exred
09-16-2002, 05:42 PM
I cut there on both sides and I cut between the engine and the swingarm.
Thanks
Kris