PDA

View Full Version : craked motor mount

rea
11-22-2006, 07:22 PM
I was tearing down today and noticed that my motor mount on the right front side is cracked around the front bolt hole.So the only way i see to fix it is the old one has to be taken off the frame and a new one welded on.Where would i get one are they still made and is there anyone that does this or has had the same problem.

Dave83
11-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Are you talking about the mount that is welded to the frame that the motor mount bolts to?If so,I dont think they ever made replacement ones.If it is destoyed,you have to fab one.If it is just cracked,it can be repaired.Find someone who can tig weld or is really good at mig welding.Theyll be able to fix it.I had to fix more than one of them myself.

BKex
11-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Mine is cracked in that same exact place, just havent had time to fix being that its not really hurting anything. You dont need to replace the whole mount just weld up the crack and grind it down. Thats if you can get a grinder in there.

deathman53
11-23-2006, 08:24 AM
is it the mount that bolts to the frame or the actual part of the frame, honda sells the motor mounts, so does esr(87-89 only). I would check your bottom mount also, I had a known cracked bottom mount and it caused my front mounts to crack and the parts that bolt to the frame to crack also.

rea
11-23-2006, 08:55 PM
No its the actual part of the frame that those front mounts bolt to its cracked around the hole

Tom TRX250R
11-24-2006, 02:12 AM
That is not a big deal at all, it is usually the left side (stator side) that cracks first but just make sure to have it welded good and you will not have a problem with it again. The only crack I had out of my stock frame was on the left hand motor mount and I found it to be VERY common considering all three of my buddies 86's all cracked in the same spot, but no where else!!! Just weld it up and you will not have another problem with that spot!!!!

C-LEIGH RACING
11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
If you tig weld it up on the back side & then grind it off smooth so the engine mount will bolt up flat, you can take a flat washer & tig weld it in place on the other side to beef the mount up & end the cracking problem.
I've even braze welded a washer in place & cured the cracking problem, anything to add some thickness to that area.
Neil

rea
11-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Its not realy around the hole thou its right in the corner of the mount were it bends then it goes about a quarter inch under the front hole if you guys say its nothing to worry about after its welded then that makes me feel better.I thought id be a bigger deal.I dont think its been cracked that long it wasnt there a couple of months ago when i went threw the motor.When i got it it didnt have the bolt in the bottom mount so i put one in.I dont think that caused it but i think its odd that it was fine before without it and the guy i got it from had the motor mounts on wrong they were on the outside of the tabs so that they were being pulled in when you tightend the bolt on the front of the motor.Im not sure if that had anyhting to do with it but WTF

Creech52
11-25-2006, 06:39 AM
I have an 88 and my right mount is cracked aswell, Im thinking the propegs that were on it were bolted through the hole the crack is near and thats why, the mount looks a little tweaked too. Im just gonna straighten it out and weld it up, prolly use a mig as I dont really have the 2Gs to buy myself a nice miller TIG :devil: