PDA

View Full Version : shock set-up help

EricCartman
11-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I just bought a set of 450r shocks for my 400ex. As it sits right now - it seems MUCH stiffer than the stockers. I need some help roughly setting these up for a better trail type ride. Right now it just feels "off". I get too frustrated to turn it one turn, ride for 10 mins, come back, turn screw more, ride, turn max, ride ..... I know re-valving would be ideal here, but I am in this for the fun, no competition, and no big budget!

I am 205lbs, ride mostly trail rides with some moderate jumping, some fields and am gonna be running a lot on frozen lakes (probably similar to dunes or desert riding).

Right now the pre-load is in the middle.
The lower dial (compression, right?) is set about 1.5 turns out from max Soft.
The upper dial (rebound, right?) is set about 2 turns out from max Hard.

I am not looking for someone to magically give me the ideal set-up, I am just looking for something close - or what others are having good luck with, riding similarly to me. Thanks SO much!

MAD450r
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
the one on the bottom of the spring is rebound the one on the resivore is the comppression. I would try taking more preload out if its still stiff, unless its sitting at the height you want.

If it is at the ride height you like then try slowing the return some, and maybe soften the compression a hair. I know you dont want to do the trial and error thing. But none of us know how you will like it. Its all preference :(

My ex sits much lower than my 450r does. The way I like it, but its not the best in trails that low.

edit im only about 135lbs in gear so if I told you my settings that wouldn't help, not to mention my stock R shocks are revalved and resprung.

Hope I was able to get you started atleast.

EricCartman
11-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Cool thanks ... at least ya set me straight on what dial does what ... I bet if I switch my settings on that alone - it will help. Thank you! :D

Also - as far as ride height, I'd even like it to sit a little taller in the front, but I realize that if I get it higher - then the preload and stiffness will increase too. I gotta leave the preload where it is.

Any other ideas? How about some riders near 200lbs for trail set-ups?

MAD450r
11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
but I hear ya