PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams Stage 2 or 13:1 piston?

450rXtreme
11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Like kit says I need to know which would be the better buy per say for the most performance both are about the same price. Running K&N w/ out spark arrestor and big gun Rev box w/ coil on 2005 450r. Carb has #152 jet.

Thanks Jason.

rlplive
11-22-2006, 01:05 PM
I know the hotcam stg 2 will really wake that thing up. I have 0 experience with the 13:1 though

ghott
11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I would suggest a Full exhaust, then a HCS2, and then a piston.

In that order.

Full exhaust is simple, its a bolt on part and will give you great sound and nice performance gains. Get a nice full exhaust IE...Rossier, DASA, HMF, Yoshimura, Rage...

The Hot Cams Stage 2 is a great cam. All you have to do is pull the valve cover, and cam assembly to put it in. This will compliment the full exhaust, and give you even more performance gains.

Lastly, the piston install is a little harder. You have to pull the head, and the ring assembly can be a little tricky. If you go with a High comp piston, go big. Such as 14:1. You'll have to run race gas with either a 13:1 or 14:1, so why not go with the extra point?

Just my honest opinion...take it as you will :).

DirtDevilBT
11-23-2006, 01:00 AM
^^ yep, unless you were hoping not to run race gas. Then something more like 12:1 would be better.

Sjorge450R
11-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
^^ yep, unless you were hoping not to run race gas. Then something more like 12:1 would be better.

can you run 12:1 on pump gas? My dad already flips that I buy the 93 and he would probaly flip more if I bought the race gas. lol

ghott
11-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
can you run 12:1 on pump gas? My dad already flips that I buy the 93 and he would probaly flip more if I bought the race gas. lol

In the 450's, you can run up to 12.5:1 SAFELY on 91 or 93 (R+M/2) gas. The most popular pump gas friendly piston I've seen around is the Black Widow, or Hammer Heads 12.25:1 piston.

But if you want power...SQUEEZE that chamber and go 14:1 :devil:.

tooanxiousii
11-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ghott
I would suggest a Full exhaust, then a HCS2, and then a piston.

In that order.

Full exhaust is simple, its a bolt on part and will give you great sound and nice performance gains. Get a nice full exhaust IE...Rossier, DASA, HMF, Yoshimura, Rage...

The Hot Cams Stage 2 is a great cam. All you have to do is pull the valve cover, and cam assembly to put it in. This will compliment the full exhaust, and give you even more performance gains.

Lastly, the piston install is a little harder. You have to pull the head, and the ring assembly can be a little tricky. If you go with a High comp piston, go big. Such as 14:1. You'll have to run race gas with either a 13:1 or 14:1, so why not go with the extra point?

Just my honest opinion...take it as you will :).

Well said ghott but you missed one thing when the head is off have it ported and polished ...

ghott
11-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by tooanxiousii
Well said ghott but you missed one thing when the head is off have it ported and polished ...

Very true. It is good to do a piston and a port and polish at the same time :).

Was wondering, who'd you have PP your head toon?

tooanxiousii
11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ghott
Very true. It is good to do a piston and a port and polish at the same time :).

Was wondering, who'd you have PP your head toon?

I had LA Technologys do my head!! They a wonderful job for me..
They are in Michigan 734-652-7505