PDA

View Full Version : 250ex HELP!!

njk4o5
11-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey guys I have some bad news...my Honda 250ex wont start. Yeah its not a typo its really dead. Okay at the beginning of summer my dad overtightened the oil drain bolt and it ruined the threads. We retapped it, and sealed it up good with another bolt, and I havnt changed the oil since.

Well now that the the season is over, I tried to change the oil by tipping the quad on its side and draining it from the dipstick hole. I only got about half of it out.

I just said the hell with the rest of it and filled it back up with new stuff to the right level. It was hard to restart at first, probably because i had it tipped on its side for a while, but i got it running. It didnt run good at all, spitting and sputtering. I just figured it was the old and new oils mixing. So i took it around the yard once and put it away, thinking that letting it sit would solve everything.
Today, it wont start at all. Wont even catch. Whats worse is while im cranking it over it puffs out black smoke( burning oil?). It backfires real loud too, like a firecracker. I think i finally killed my 250.

Just a few questions:
Does draining oil out the dipstick hole get oil anywhere where it shouldnt be?

Is it okay to mix old and new oils?

What should i do? Try to get the real oil drain bolt out of the bottom and risk stripping the threads again?
I figure that getting ALL the oil out and then refilling will change something, if it isnt already dead.

Oh, and i have no money to buy a 400ex so thats out of the question.
Im totally lost so anyone with help please chime in!! I can get any pics if need be.

300exOH
11-22-2006, 12:34 PM
When you tip it up like that oil can get past the piston rings. Its possible that your float is stuck from tipping it upside down. I would check the carb and change the plugand oil and give it another try. You may just need to burn off some of the oil in the cylinder.

njk4o5
11-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Yea im gonna go get some plugs and try those. I would try to burn off the oil in the cylinder, because theres deffinitly some in there, but the backfiring blows my eardrums out. Thanxx

300exOH
11-22-2006, 12:44 PM
You can get some of the oil out of the cylinder by disconnecting the spark plug wire and turning the engine over a few times. Some earplugs might be a good idea when you try to start it again.:p

njk4o5
11-22-2006, 08:46 PM
what could be keeping it from starting or running right?

250exkid
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
watch out on the back firing you can blow your motor to

njk4o5
11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Today it blew out a huge ball of fire and torched the bush behind it. but my airfilter is covered in gas, could that be a porblem? Im going to let it dry out.

Im finally starting to give up on this quad. I bought it beat up, and all i did was run it hard. After i finally get it running again, i still need front and rear brakes, handlebars, plastic, bearings, and tires. It sucks...

250exkid
11-23-2006, 03:27 PM
if you have another quade then beat the piss out of it but if you dont get it running and try not to kill it lol :devil:

njk4o5
11-23-2006, 04:51 PM
I have another quad, 2 of them, but my dad is a nazi about keeping his in tip top shape and my moms ozark is just slow. who cares anyways lol its snowmbile season

250exkid
11-24-2006, 10:02 AM
exactly im putting a new camoplast track on my arctic cat zr 600 :blah: :macho

njk4o5
11-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Got it running, a new plug and a K&N airfilter was all it needed. Yea i still need $200 in brakes though. Anyone have any calipers laying around for a 250?