PDA

View Full Version : head work

Modded R
11-22-2006, 10:10 AM
has anyone sent their head off to a big company (dasa, nmotion, etc) and if so have you had any luck. thinking about sending mine off next winter when i get the money. i'm thinking port/polish, larger valves, maybe a different cam?

cals400ex
11-22-2006, 10:46 AM
i went with KBR/Venom porting and i was shocked. it really helped mine. it didn't give a 15 horsepower gain or anything but it was noticable. before the head was on i put in a 12.25:1 piston and the ported head made more of a difference than that piston did. yeah, i am sure the head and piston complemented each other but the head made me quite a bit faster for drag racing.

Modded R
11-22-2006, 10:57 AM
thanx 4 the reply. i was just wanting to know what other people have done, if its worth it, and if i should sent it off to a company. i was thinking about sending it to dasa but everybody says that they take forever.:ermm: don't know if i can be without my baby for that long:( one way or the other i'm gonna make it fast:devil:

CHEVYZ
11-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I have had a couple heads done thus far...two of them were for my 450r. I have a Sparks set up and a drag set up by N-motion with the big valves, Webcam, etc. Haven't had a chance to try the N-motion head, but judging from the quality of their work, it is top shelf! The Sparks I am not greatly impressed with, but it does well so I am not complaining. The Sparks engine alone gave me a huge gain! Head work is definately where it is at. I have been very impressed with DASA, so they will probably be my next choice.

On another note, C&D Racing did a very good on my 400EX head for very cheap.

Most big names will do a good job. Just try to stay away from the little guys with no reputation. You may find one of the best secrets around, but you don't want to screw up and find the guy that doesn't know a thing about engines. I had a buddy experience that with his YFZ....his bike actually became slower after the headwork!

elementryder
11-22-2006, 12:23 PM
im having my head done at TC (tom carlson) racing and let me tell you he dose some of the best porting world wide and everybody i know have been very happy with toms work

cals400ex
11-22-2006, 09:06 PM
in my experience tom builds motors to have a lot of low to midrange power. i want a little more top end for my drag racing style. but, he does some good work. maybe you will like your n-motion work. a few people i talked to said it was one of the worst looking things they have seen though. so, i don't know. i think i paid $350 for port work, installation, and shipping. i am not promising it makes more power than anyone elses work, but for what i paid i was happy.

desratt
11-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I have had trinity and nmotion port heads for my 450r's.. liked them both . like the nmotion a nudge more but next I may try duncan.

Dave400ex
11-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Has anyone had Baldwin port their head? I have a Baldwin XC cam and it's awesome, just wondered how everything else is...

chad502ex
11-23-2006, 08:40 AM
DASA, Baldwin, Rage, Tom Carson, Sparks, Rossier can all port exceptionally.

It all boils down to whom you want to give your money too... kinda like buying ford, GMC, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan- all trucks are bad arse- just what you want to ride in....

just stay clear from mixxer.

outlaw450r
11-23-2006, 08:59 AM
WHat about you chad.

chad502ex
11-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by outlaw450r
WHat about you chad.

well, i wasn't trying to advertise or anything, but simce you asked, I crush all of them..... hehe

:macho

TMSmx47
11-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Mines going to DRG (Chad) once I get some loot together.. Chads gonna make me crack my piggy bank!:eek2: ... J/K Chad... ;) DSAR!

chad502ex
11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by TMSmx47
Mines going to DRG (Chad) once I get some loot together.. Chads gonna make me crack my piggy bank!:eek2: ... J/K Chad... ;) DSAR!

right on... :thumbsup

I cant wait until you do,,,,

TMSmx47
11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Example of Chads (DRG) work... This is only the SSAR.. Ask him for more details on what it means and what it does.. I couldn't begin to tell you. I have no idea..lol.. But heres a pic!

chad502ex
11-23-2006, 07:42 PM
;)

Architects
11-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
DASA, Baldwin, Rage, Tom Carson, Sparks, Rossier can all port exceptionally.

It all boils down to whom you want to give your money too... kinda like buying ford, GMC, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan- all trucks are bad arse- just what you want to ride in....

just stay clear from mixxer.

Not trying to start anything. But whats wrong with mixxers work. He really seems to know his stuff.

chad502ex
11-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Architects
Not trying to start anything. But whats wrong with mixxers work. He really seems to know his stuff.

perform a bit of research and ask for some references whom resoldl his work, or even the second round that he retried porting someones head, and see what most are saying...

wasnt trying to disappoint- you asked. :ermm:

Architects
11-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Oh Im not disapointed. It just seems like there are a few on the org that love his work.:ermm: I sent you a pm

chad502ex
11-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Architects
Oh Im not disapointed. It just seems like there are a few on the org that love his work.:ermm: I sent you a pm

yea true.. he does have a few that follow.

My inbox was full. i cleared it out. thanks.

desratt
11-25-2006, 05:21 PM
don't want to be a part of a flame war but chad is right .

Modded R
11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
thanx for all the replies. i'm not sure where i'm goin to send my head but i was wanting to do some research and see what other people think before i send it off. heard alot about u chad and from what i've read and seen on this site ur work rocks:devil: i'll have to see what my budgit will allow next year but u might see a head comin ur way

chad502ex
11-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Modded R
thanx for all the replies. i'm not sure where i'm goin to send my head but i was wanting to do some research and see what other people think before i send it off. heard alot about u chad and from what i've read and seen on this site ur work rocks:devil: i'll have to see what my budgit will allow next year but u might see a head comin ur way

i hope to help you out.