PDA

View Full Version : Removing broken bolts????

Creech52
11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok so Ive done my fair share of this but all the ones I have done had something sticking out to grab on. But now I am faced with the ultimate challenge....broken off FLUSH!!! :eek:
Ok so whats the best method to go about this, I really dont want to drill it out and have to retap the hole or helicoil it. What are the best types of tools to use, Ive seen extractors and EZ outs, but Ive heard mixed things on them and I dont want to spend the money for it to either not work or end up snapping off and having a peice of hardened tool that I need to drill out. Of course Ill be using heat, I love it, it works like magic.

red2004 TRX450R
11-22-2006, 11:37 AM
good penetrating lube and an EZ out.

or if you can get it in a drill press and you are skilled at running a drill press you can drill it out with out touching the threads.

Kaleigh
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
you can try a tap out set from you local auto parts store.. ask them about it im sure they would have something. i had to take a head bolt out and it was broken below flush.. should be around $10

Creech52
11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Ya just wanted some opinons on ez outs and extractors before I go and waste the money, I know alot of people have had bad luck with them.

Bill Fuller
11-22-2006, 02:41 PM
They work just fine.I would buy a good set.I will tell you now that Craftsman will not replace broken easy outs/extractors.As long as you drill it(broken bolt) in the center and no loctite was used is should come right out. You can always use a punch with a sharp point and tap at the edge and keep tapping counter clock wise and as long as the punch bites into the bolt it should turn right out,again as long as no Loctite has been used. If you used Loctite then put the heat to it prior to using the punch or easy out.

Bill Fuller
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
P.S.

The smaller the bolt the smaller the easy out will be and they are hardened but they will break. I have had best luck using both methods.Start with the punch and see if you can get it to turn.

Lonestar_R
11-26-2006, 08:59 AM
I've found that a masonary drill bit works best.....cause those bolts are hard

gotwarrior
12-01-2006, 06:41 AM
A new titanium bit works pretty good to get the hole started.:D

Creech52
12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
well im gonna try some easy outs maybe this weekend Ill let you guys know the results. Once I get these damn bolts out im a step closer to gusseting and then off to PC.

parkers30
12-01-2006, 01:46 PM
just make sure you use heat/lube/something to help out, we broke a big easy out off over the weekend

the slick way to do it it to use left rotation drill bits to drill the hole, the drill will get alot of the bolts out on its own

AtvMxRider
12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
The BEST method is just drill it out starting with a small bit and working your way up. Make sure you start in the center of the bolt. Then just run a tap in the hole.Easy outs will work but if you break one off you are screwed. You cannot drill a broken easy out. Reverse threaded drill bits work really well also. I wouldn't heat it if you are going to drill it. The heat does something the metal in bolt and makes it almost impossible to drill.

Sjorge450R
12-02-2006, 02:54 PM
just get a bolt extractor. they always work for me on my broken bumper bolts