PDA

View Full Version : help (lost key)

12oclockurryday
11-21-2006, 06:39 PM
aight so i lost the key to my 400ex. does anyone know what wires to cross so i can use the starter button and i dont have to pop start my quad in order to start it?

killerofcrows48
11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
not sure what wires, but you can buy a new key switch and key

hornetgod13
11-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm very leary of these posts. They just scream "STOLEN" I wouldn't give anyone instructions on "hot wiring" If you really did lose the keys than go to a honda dealership and get a new set of keys or ignition switch. You should have wrote the key number down if it's really yours.

4TraxRider
11-21-2006, 07:29 PM
If you don't have a key you shouldn't be able to pop start it either.:huh Unless you already started pulling wires. It is kind of sketchy, being this is your first post wondering how to hot wire a quad.

12oclockurryday
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
well the thing is i really did loose my key. and im trying to save money which is why i wanna run a keyless ignition. and if i were to steal a quad i would not put it up on a forum.

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
All you have to do is find the green and white wire that goes to the wheely sensor and cut the both. Then tape the green and white wire together and wala you can start it:devil:

Or you could just go get a new key

04TRX400EX
11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Just go to your local Honda dealer and order a new key, assuming of course that you wrote down the letter/number combination embossed in the key.

jokester
11-22-2006, 01:24 AM
honestly not to steal this thread or anything, but how many of you really write down the key number and all? I know I sure as hell don't and I know plenty of other people that don't do that either, just because he, like many other people didn't write down the key number, why should he be accused of stealing this quad just because he lost the key?

firefighterjosh
11-22-2006, 01:36 AM
How much does a key run these days??? I never ran into this problem but you should be able to take the Vin # to the dealer and I would think they could make you one.

hornetgod13
11-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by jokester
honestly not to steal this thread or anything, but how many of you really write down the key number and all? I know I sure as hell don't and I know plenty of other people that don't do that either, just because he, like many other people didn't write down the key number, why should he be accused of stealing this quad just because he lost the key?

Why hot wire your own quad??? It doesn't make sense to me. How much effort would it take to go get another key. Even if you brain farted and didn't write your key number down, If you have your vin and proof of ownership it should be a breeze for a dealership to help you out. I doubt it would cost that much money. Asking us how to "hot wire" his own quad sounds suspicious to me.

Ceph
11-22-2006, 03:39 AM
the numer on the key, is also on the key switch. take that number, or the switch to your Honda dealer with proof of ownership, and they will make you a new key. retail is only $7. mine made me one for free.

11-22-2006, 05:15 AM
i have the key number to both my bikes written down in the back of my owners manual, on my purchase paperwork in a firesafe box and also in computer files on both my computer and my parents computer. Plus, I think my wife has that file on her laptop which she keeps at work.

I smell stolen quad here...

11-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Shave a key down then slide it in the hole and take a hammer and hit it and then turn and you got it.

Or just look for a key switch on here or ebay. I sold mine for $20

450Rchaser
11-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Just unhook the ignition lock cylinder and take it 2 a local dealer. The numbers are on there too. I did it and it only cost like $7 key

Ncboost
11-22-2006, 10:19 AM
How many numbers are in a key code. I can barely make out three numbers.

450Rchaser
11-22-2006, 10:46 AM
I think its a letter and 2 numbers.

Ncboost
11-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Well mine looks like three numbers?

11-22-2006, 12:19 PM
a letter and 2 numbers

PismoLocal
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Call a mobile locksmith and give him the number off of the key cylinder deal its the easiest way to get it. I lost my key about a year ago and called a mobil locksmith he told me to look at the cylinder the key goes into and read him the key code. I gave it to him with my address and about 20 minutes later he showed up at my house with the key already made. I paid $16 for it which is a bargain because i never even had to leave my house.

Dweezil
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
The key code is on the cylinder. Pop it out and clean it off. On the side will be a bunch of numbers. Your key code will either be all by itself(and it is not the R45 that is on most switches.) or it will be in a series of numbers usually the last 3 numbers. It will start with either an A,B,C, or D then it will have two numbers. That is your key code. Take that number to your with proof of ownership to the Honda a shop and they can cut you a key no problem.

hornetgod13
11-22-2006, 07:20 PM
My 2006 has a three digit key code.

12oclockurryday
11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
for the record again my quad is NOT stolen im just 2 lazy to go buy a key when i can spend that $7 and buy a 6 pack of sweet delicious heineken. keys are over rated anyway when i can put a hidden switch in that no1 will know bout but me. thanks 2 everyone who has put in a usefull comment.

hornetgod13
11-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 12oclockurryday
for the record again my quad is NOT stolen im just 2 lazy to go buy a key when i can spend that $7 and buy a 6 pack of sweet delicious heineken. keys are over rated anyway when i can put a hidden switch in that no1 will know bout but me. thanks 2 everyone who has put in a usefull comment.

Even if your quad isn't stolen you are requesting information that could help other thieves. Too many quads are stolen each year. Why make it any easier on them? A lot of great people gave you some good advice on how to get another key. It's easy and inexpensive. I suggest you put your drinking habit on hold and get a new key. (If, it's actually your quad)

fastleo
11-25-2006, 12:33 PM
sounds stolen?????????????????????????????:confused: :confused:

400exMO
11-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I've lost my key as well. I traveled 2 hours to a track, and I forgot the key. So I pulled some wires and spliced and haven't used my key for over a year. It's basic to do, just troobleshoot and you'll get it down.

hornetgod13
11-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by fastleo
sounds stolen?????????????????????????????:confused: :confused:

Exactally what I thought. His first post on the website is asking how to "hotwire" his quad. I feel bad for the real owner of the quad.

Latemodel32
11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I'm very leary of these posts. They just scream "STOLEN" I wouldn't give anyone instructions on "hot wiring" If you really did lose the keys than go to a honda dealership and get a new set of keys or ignition switch. You should have wrote the key number down if it's really yours.

Just what i was thinking sounds fishy

Latemodel32
11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 12oclockurryday

Hmmm you can buy beer but you cant spell you are not 21.Maybe it isnt stolen Yet

400exMO
11-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Latemodel32
Hmmm you can buy beer but you cant spell you are not 21.Maybe it isnt stolen Yet
I wouldn't bash his grammar any more, because your's is nothing to call home about.

Now why doesn't everyone leave the kid alone, these forums are for asking questions and receiving answers. Has no one ever lost a key before?

Zeppelin03
11-25-2006, 04:13 PM
he could be legit....could not be...but i was in the same boat after my rebuil;d over the summer.. My key got lost somewhere in my room and i never had the second one from the guy i bought it from so me ansd my friend hot wired it but put in a switch so its just keyless ignition..ive been meaning to buy a new ignition just havent gotten around to it.

jokester
11-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Its not always as easy as most of you make it sound to just go out and buy a new key, considering gas prices now a days... I'm not sure about all of you, but if I go to my local honda dealer and come back thats about 60 miles round trip, and when you adding in the fact its gonna cost me another $30 bucks for gas!
so that would be around $37 or so, I would definatly rather hot wire!!! so don't always just start accusing people just because they might want to save a few bucks because they lost their key!