PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Lip or no rolled lip?

fuddrucker
09-13-2002, 07:10 AM
I am curious as to how much better rolled lip wheels are vs. non-rolled lip. I am going to be buying new wheels and tires within a week or so and I see a lot of people saying to get the rolled lip type. Right now I have the stock Honda rolled lip wheels on front and some kind of aftermarket brand on the back (bought quad used so I don't know what they are)that do not have rolled lips. I have had the quad for over two years now and have never had a problem with the wheels / flats except the usual "slow leak" that seems to develop AFTER I get home then magically fixes itself after the next ride.

What does having the rolled lip provide / prevent? Also, I see terms like "beadlocks", or some kind of "ring" that people use.

I do trail riding, usually not to rutty or rocky, but sometimes, and don't do any kind of racing. I was just wondering if I should "pay a little more now instead of paying a lot later" and get rolled lip wheels.

Thanks!

Ben
09-13-2002, 07:14 AM
The rolled lips are far superior to the alternative. If you hit a rock they are much less likely to bend/tweak than the non-rolled lip, and will just scuff up a little bit. I know people think that OEM rims aren't the hot setup but the Honda OEM rims are tough to beat in rocky terrian, period. Go with the rolled lip.

Texan32
09-13-2002, 07:47 AM
MANY different options

-Standard alloy - come in 3 grades .125, .160 and .190. This describes the thickness. Usually the only guys that run anything less than .190 are the desert runners (i guess the sand is pretty forgiving). I've had a pair of .190 on the rear of my quad now for 8 months....bent in 4 different spots.
-Rolled lip - take a .190 and roll the bead over itself a time or two. Take a news paper...roll it up real tight...how easy is it to bend it in half...catch my drift?!
-Race wheels- take a .190 and weld a 1 inch ring inside the bead (even stronger than rolled lip)
-Beadlocks- instead of having a convintional bead, how about a plate that actually claps the tire to the rim.

Its kinda hard to see, but the left wheel is a beadlock, the right one is a race wheel.

fuddrucker
09-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Oh Man!! That explains it perfectly.

Very clear now. Rolled it is.

Thanks a lot!!

Texan32
09-13-2002, 08:15 AM
Glad i could be of help. I only wich i had known this info when i baught my wheels. I DEFINATELY would have saved a little more for at LEAST rolled beads...if not race wheels.

cdalejef
09-13-2002, 10:59 AM
Very well put Texan...wanna job?:square

Texan32
09-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Heck yeah...but its only gonna work if you guys wanna open up a second store down in San Antonio!:D I'm getting stationed down there in Feb.

cdalejef
09-13-2002, 11:28 AM
I was in San Antonio in july, you can drive back and forth!:p Man that river walk is neat!

QuadTrix6
09-13-2002, 11:29 AM
whats the best rim front and back for mx racing thats not so expensive?

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 11:39 AM
The roled edge wheels are almost as good as the stock honda wheels. Which everyone knows, honda only puts the best on their quads ;) That should explain it all!! haha