PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Tranny Question

toomeyshee87
11-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I have a problem with my bike going into gear hard. Like when im in neutral and I pull in the clutch and shift into first it will knock when it goes into gear. I dont know if this is a sign that the clutch is worn since it has had a season of racing on it but I will replace the plates since Im doing a winter rebuild anyway.

So my question is, what could the noise be? And, what kind of clutch kits are the best for the money? Also, will i need a new basket?

Thanks for any help!

daddio
11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure about the "knock"................ But the best clutch for the yfz is the stock fibers. Just run 8 full size plates and get rid of the small friction disk and the two steel washers that are in the center of it.

cals400ex
11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
there is a few things you can try. normally when the bike is cold it will do that. for example, the first time you put the bike in gear it seems to go in a little harder. try changing the oil. dirty oil will make it shift firmer. also, if the idle is a little too high then it will jerk you a little more on the shifts.

cals400ex
11-22-2006, 11:00 AM
i forgot to mention to make sure the lever is adjusted properly. if there is too much slack in it the shifts might not be smooth either. remember, it does need some slack though......

Toadz400
11-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Shift forks could be bent. I would suggest taking the clutch apart and making sure everything is okay there too.

toomeyshee87
11-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys!

I do have my idle set a little higher then stock, just preference.

I had just changed the oil and my lever is adjusted properly.

I have noticed that its gotten worse over the last racing season so maybe its just my clutch. Does anyone know if I will need plates and springs or a new basket too? Also what kind is the best for the money?

11-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by daddio
I Just run 8 full size plates and get rid of the small friction disk and the two steel washers that are in the center of it.

Why dont you need them 2 metal washer things and that odd clutch plate? I heard it was to make the clutch work better. Whats the advantage of using all full ones over the stock set up?