PDA

View Full Version : Another Computer Question...

ShiftFMX
11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Ok, Hopefully this week I can go Pick a new Hard drive for my Vaio. My only problem is with the OS I have a windows xp upgrade disk...is that going to work? The pc came from the factory with ME installed on it, I have those restore disks as well.

Could I Install ME then Upgrade???? I DO NOT feel like buying another copy of XP!!:mad:

orca0294
11-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Most likely you will have to install the Windows ME version and then put in the upgrade of Windows XP. In your case you could run into trouble with registering since your OS registry is already on your old hard drive. If you need any further help you could PM me or your best bet would be to check out computerforum.com. There are many people with great help over there. What is the reason for upgrading your hard drive and how much larger? Can you run your current hard drive and the new one together?

SGA
11-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I only buy the XP upgrade CD's, not the full version= $$.

Actually, the win XP upgrade CD is the full version. When you put the XP upgrade disk in, it checks for a older OS, such as ME or 98. If its a new (empty) harddrive it asks for a older version CD of windows to verify you are upgrading. I pop in a old win 98 CD I keep around, it checks, says ok and to put the XP CD back in, then it installs XP.

I do that with both new empty and old harddrives

11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
The answer is B. Quatum Physics.

ShiftFMX
11-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by orca0294
What is the reason for upgrading your hard drive and how much larger? Can you run your current hard drive and the new one together?

It's Toast. And If I restore it, it crashes at the most 2 days later.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC01560.jpg