PDA

View Full Version : vacation jetting question(sorry)

troutman561
11-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Ok it is a jetting question sorry... but anyways I am going to Beech mtn, NC this christmas with the family for 8 days, and i want to bring the 400... my question is since it is 5000ft above sea level i know my jetting will be wayyyyy off since i live at sea level.. I also have no idea what jets are in my quad after i put the pipe on because I had that done when i first got the quad and was not brave enough at that point to jet myself so i dont know what the shop put in.. so my question is what size jets should i be bringing with me, or at least a starting point... and this is a dumb question but will the jetting be off bad enough to warrant diff. jets(I'm sure it will but might as well ask).. sorry for the long post but help would be most appreciated!

GPracer2500
11-20-2006, 06:24 PM
If you run with your airbox lid on you could probably just run with it off at the high elevation. It may not be perfect but that should let in enough extra air to at least make a big dent in getting the air/fuel ratio acceptable.

A 5000 feet difference should call for about 3 jet sizes different (e.g. 160 to a 152) assuming similar temperatures.

zrpilot
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
If you run with your airbox lid on you could probably just run with it off at the high elevation. It may not be perfect but that should let in enough extra air to at least make a big dent in getting the air/fuel ratio acceptable.

A 5000 feet difference should call for about 3 jet sizes different (e.g. 160 to a 152) assuming similar temperatures.

Yep, right on according to my jetting correction spreadsheet!!!!

troutman561
11-20-2006, 07:37 PM
So the air box off should make it just enough to where it wont cause any problems since it wont be an extended amount of time?? thanks for the replies!(just making sure i read correctly.. im anal like that lol)

zrpilot
11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
So the air box off should make it just enough to where it wont cause any problems since it wont be an extended amount of time?? thanks for the replies!(just making sure i read correctly.. im anal like that lol)

Assuming temparture is equal...

The worse thing that could happen is fouling a plug and the 400EX might not run up to its optimum.

I'd ride it and then change oil as soon as you come home to get the unburned gas out of the oil.

troutman561
11-20-2006, 08:22 PM
hmm temp change.... thats going to be a big one.. mine seems to run the best when its in the 60's out for some reason, but im betting it will be in the 20's up there, will this present a big problem? and also, it may snow, short of buying snow tires which i wont do is there anything i need to prep on the quad? And also any tips so i dont kill myself, ive never rode the quad in snow...

Kaleigh
11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
lose some air in front tires.. this will help keep the tire ontop of the snow.. what kinda of snow tires are you getting.. are they the ones from AMS??

troutman561
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
No no.. im not buying any lol.. just going with the razr2's i have on there right now...

Kaleigh
11-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
No no.. im not buying any lol.. just going with the razr2's i have on there right now...

you can put a few stud in the back just to help you out a little bit.. even just 2 rows on each back tire will help you out a little bit.. sometimes it really sucks when you stop on a little bit of ice..

Xater
11-22-2006, 04:30 PM
riding in the snow is awesome! i use my razrs in the snow and work good if its just powder snow. let some air out of your tires 3-5 psi mabie and if your about to spin out just let off the throttle and youll straiten out. have fun =) i would change the jetting just to be safe.

Honda4lyphe
11-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I wouldnt worry about it, starting it can be some trouble but it wont be too bad. I bought mine from Galvistan Texas, which is very warm and moved it up here its about the 40s-60s in the winter when i ride, only problem is if i give it gas at all when starting it it usually fouls my plug so you might just want to start it useing only the choke when possible, mine starts in under 5 seconds every time so i dont really have a huge problem but i still need to get it rejetted. If its just a vacation it shouldnt be a big deal, just ride it hard and have fun :)