PDA

View Full Version : trannsmission gear rebuild

Kansas400ex
11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
how hard is it to replace 3rd gear in a 400ex?

jeremy_283
11-20-2006, 09:49 PM
If you've ever done anything such as even change a clutch in your engine I would give it a shot......... make sure you have the owners manual.......... ive personally never had to do it yet but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do it

4everhonda
11-21-2006, 05:16 AM
I would say you need more experience than just changing your clutch but if you would say that you are a mechanically inclind type of person then go for it but make sure to get a clymers manual and follow it step for step. I just finished replacing every gear in my tranny :ermm: everyone was sucessful thanks to that manual

Kansas400ex
11-21-2006, 05:50 AM
i already have the tools and the manual. but i wnat to make sure that its the gear and not somethin else like a shifter drum etc.
when i shift up into 3rd gear the engine will go in and out of neutral but the neutral light wont come on and it will slow down to like 5mph, but when i shft into 4th and 5th its all fine again. so is it really my gear or is it something else?

1fst400
11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
sounds like a bent shift fork.

I replaced 2nd gear in my 400ex tranny. It was my first time taking the motor apart believe it or not im 17. I split them cases and was like (OHHH F***) and bought a manual. I got it back together in a cupple weeks just fine. I was proud of myself!

thing is when on gear in there goes, it also trashes the gears that it touches. Im prety shure that you picked a bad gear to trash. expect to spend 300$ on tranny gears and forks.

Kansas400ex
11-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
sounds like a bent shift fork.

I replaced 2nd gear in my 400ex tranny. It was my first time taking the motor apart believe it or not im 17. I split them cases and was like (OHHH F***) and bought a manual. I got it back together in a cupple weeks just fine. I was proud of myself!

thing is when on gear in there goes, it also trashes the gears that it touches. Im prety shure that you picked a bad gear to trash. expect to spend 300$ on tranny gears and forks.

well if that was the case then i wouldnt have 2nd and 4th gears too, but i do have those to gears

exrider008
11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
i just got done rebuilding my 400ex. i changed the crank,all the bottomend bearings/seals, and some other stuff and im only 15 so it really isnt that hard. just follow the manual. if u r useing a honda manual be carful because they leve out some steps when putting the tranny back together:huh.

Wheelie
11-21-2006, 08:28 PM
With a good service manual and some mechanical know-how it's pretty simple.