PDA

View Full Version : 11/17 Police warn ATV riders to observe local laws - New Jersey

sunco
11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
This in the general news section of ATV RIDER home page. I called & asked for permission & what the location of the property was. They sent an email. I posted it after this article

SOUTH BRUNSWICK - Residents have been complaining that all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) have been operating on all terrains - including private property and public land - without permission.

According to Sgt. James Stoddard, of the South Brunswick Police Department, residents of the Summer Field Estate development have been complaining over the last three or four weeks about ATVs driving through their land, sometimes even through their yards. Stoddard said that this is hardly a new problem.

He noted that an ordinance in 1988 specifically banned the use of ATVs on land without permission from the owner, and pointed out that even nearly 20 years ago, it was recognized as a problem.

"We have an appreciation for the fact that ATVs are a popular recreational activity for people, but some people push it too far," said Stoddard.

Stoddard said that ATVs operating without permission on someone's land are a problem, first, because of safety. When they are ridden in areas where they are not expected, such as roadways and trails, then accidents are more likely to occur. He also noted that there is a nuisance factor involved, as they can cause damage, such as large tire tracks, and generate a great deal of noise.

There are currently four ordinances on the books in South Brunswick regulating the use of ATVs. People are not allowed to ride ATVs on public land or property without permission, and can result in the vehicle's impoundment. People aren't allowed to ride on private property without that owner's permission, and knowingly doing so is considered a disorderly persons offense.

According to Stoddard, those wanting permission to use ATVs on public property should contact the township clerk. Fines for offenses range between $100-$200.

Stoddard said that the police department intends to step up enforcement of these regulations within the next few days.

- Chris Gaetano

Don,

I have attached a copy of code regarding ATV permits. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

ARTICLE II. OPERATION OF SCOOTERS AND OTHER
MOTOR DRIVEN VEHICLES

Sec. 88-21. Prohibited acts.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motorized vehicle, including motorcycles, snowmobiles, mopeds, mini-bikes, trail bikes, motor scooters, go-carts, motorized skateboards, all-terrain vehicles (ATV's) and dune buggies or any other vehicle in the class known as recreational vehicles on any property or under any circumstances described in section 88-22.

(Ord. No. 72-05, § I, 12-13-2005)

Sec. 88-22. Applicability.

The property to be regulated by this article is all publicly and privately owned property on or off the improved right-of-way, including, but not limited to, all private and public highways and roadways.

Sec. 88-23. Findings.

The Township Council of the Township of South Brunswick hereby enacts this article because it finds that operation of such motorized vehicles has been conducted:

(1) In a manner so as to create loud, unnecessary or unusual noise so as to disturb or interfere with the peace, quiet and tranquility of others.

(2) In a careless, reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger the safety or the property of others.

Sec. 88-24. Exceptions.

The terms and provisions of this article shall not be applicable to police or other emergency vehicles including, but not limited to, ambulances, motorcycles, fire control vehicles and the like, motorized lawn mowers, tractors or farm vehicles or construction equipment.

Sec. 88-25. Confiscation.

The police department is hereby authorized to confiscate and impound any motorized vehicle that is allegedly operated in violation of the terms of this article.

Sec. 88-26. Permit to operate.

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in this article to the contrary, application may be made to the township clerk to obtain a permit for a time period not exceeding three months for the use of any vehicle regulated by this article on specific property. Notice of the application shall be served by the applicant on all residents and owners of property within 200 feet of the subject property. Proof of notice shall be attached to the application. The clerk may issue a permit for the property if he finds that the proposed area shall be sufficient for the intended purpose; that adequate parking is available; that the means of ingress and egress are adequate to prevent traffic hazard, congestion or excessive interference with normal traffic movement on adjacent public streets and thoroughfares; and that the property can be so used without adversely affecting the neighborhood. The permit shall be deemed to have been automatically renewed for additional periods of three months each if no written complaint has been filed with the township clerk. If a written complaint has been filed with the township clerk, notice of the complaint shall be served upon the holder of the permit, and the permit shall be suspended immediately. This would not preclude the applicant from filing a revised application setting forth changes in circumstances.

(b) All operators of vehicles described in section 88-1 shall have in their possession, subject to display to police, the permit when operating the vehicle.

Sec. 88-27. Permit fee.

The fee for the permit as required in section 88-26 shall be $10.00 for each permit issued.

Sec. 88-28. Mufflers and safety equipment.

(a) All vehicles as described in section 88-21 shall be equipped with spark-arrester mufflers or resonators and shall not be equipped with echo chambers or tuned exhaust systems.

(b) All operators and passengers of vehicles as described in section 88-21 shall wear approved safety helmets equipped with face shields or goggles.

Sec. 88-29. Violations and penalties.

Any person who shall be adjudicated to have violated the terms of this article shall, upon conviction, be subject to penalties as provided in section 1-13, and or revocation of the permit issued pursuant to section 88-26.

Secs. 88-30--88-50. Reserved.

Barbara Nyitrai, Township Clerk
South Brunswick Township
PO Box 190
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
732-329-4000 ext. 7313

I'm not sure the SGT. knows what he is talking about or is it just me?

gbcap
11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
there is nothing in there that tells me he doesn't know what hes talking about?

sunco
11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
According to Stoddard, those wanting permission to use ATVs on public property should contact the township clerk.

This is what the article states. Then I called wanting to know where is the location on public property to ride?

Next she e-mailed the ordinance. Its states

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motorized vehicle, including motorcycles, snowmobiles, mopeds, mini-bikes, trail bikes, motor scooters, go-carts, motorized skateboards, all-terrain vehicles (ATV's) and dune buggies or any other vehicle in the class known as recreational vehicles on any property or under any circumstances described in section 88-22.

So why would he say get permission then you not be able to ride @ all based on the ordinance?

11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Few people always ruin it for everyone.

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Its kinda like that in my area. People were always nice to us with quads. Now that ppl ride on the road at 3am and tresspass people look at us like theives. Makes me mad that ppl ruin it for all of us

JOEX
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sunco
According to Stoddard, those wanting permission to use ATVs on public property should contact the township clerk.

This is what the article states. Then I called wanting to know where is the location on public property to ride?

Next she e-mailed the ordinance. Its states

So why would he say get permission then you not be able to ride @ all based on the ordinance?
The way I see it Sec. 88-26 allows you ride a certain area with a permit. Sounds like alot of hoops to jump through though:ermm:

sunco
11-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Is it all just to deep for me? How is it you can't ride anything anywhere, but if you have a permit you can. OK give me a permit. Now where would you like me to start riding. Oh you can't be cause your not aloud ........:( Hello is anyone in there?

JOEX
11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by sunco
Is it all just to deep for me? How is it you can't ride anything anywhere, but if you have a permit you can. OK give me a permit. Now where would you like me to start riding. Oh you can't be cause your not aloud ........:( Hello is anyone in there?
The first part of the article is just a blanket staement that says everywhere is illegal for recreation vehicles.

Sec. 88-26 allows you to ride in a specific area if you apply for and recieve a permit to ride in that area.

Quad18star
11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't know if I'm following you correctly or not but you want to know where you can ride , correct??

Here's a part of the By-Law that you posted ....

"Sec. 88-26. Permit to operate.

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in this article to the contrary, application may be made to the township clerk to obtain a permit for a time period not exceeding three months for the use of any vehicle regulated by this article on specific property. Notice of the application shall be served by the applicant on all residents and owners of property within 200 feet of the subject property. Proof of notice shall be attached to the application. The clerk may issue a permit for the property if he finds that the proposed area shall be sufficient for the intended purpose; that adequate parking is available; that the means of ingress and egress are adequate to prevent traffic hazard, congestion or excessive interference with normal traffic movement on adjacent public streets and thoroughfares; and that the property can be so used without adversely affecting the neighborhood. The permit shall be deemed to have been automatically renewed for additional periods of three months each if no written complaint has been filed with the township clerk. If a written complaint has been filed with the township clerk, notice of the complaint shall be served upon the holder of the permit, and the permit shall be suspended immediately. This would not preclude the applicant from filing a revised application setting forth changes in circumstances."

From what I gather , if you have private property , you have to apply for a permit to ride the area , and it is permitted as long as guidelines are followed ( parking , noise, no neighbour complaints) .

Now for public land , the way I see it , is that if you want to ride a certain area , you would have to go to the township and ask them for a permit to ride in a specific area of public land . They would then check it out and make sure that it is in accordance with it's by-laws . They probably don't have a list of public places to ride , you would have to bring the issue up with them , then they look at it and make a decision on the area brought to their attention .

:confused:

deathman53
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I used to ride alot in helmetta, e. brunswick, n. brunswick, s. brunswick and jamesburg. Almost all of that rding except a small area are shut down to atv/dirtbike use. In e.brunswick, I used to go from the border of jamesburg and helmetta, to the turnpike pit, go along the stream, cross fresh ponds and into all the trails there, along the power lines to the lake(that was a mining accident years ago), go the other way the the deli on church and keep going on the powerlines almost to rt. 130 and there was more trails, but I didn't want to dare to cross rt.130.
About 2 years ago I stopped riding there and recently I rode some of the area that is still open and tried to go into the other areas and saw alot of signs and dirt mound barriers, I went on the road(street plated dirtbike) and saw more signs, barriers and dirt mounds blocking the trails. I went to the s. brunswick side and tried to look for where we used to cross the roads at, But the trails were no longer visable. I'm guessing that nobody rides there anymore and there must be a reason. The "fish bowl" davidson mill road right where it goes over the turnpike now is a warehouse site. The fields on cranbury road and 522 where we used to drag race is all tall grass and looks like more warehouses are going up there. The area is dead for riding. I got chased out by the rangers once on the e. brunswick side, I know some people that got chased many times.
Its just like the jackson area, people move into a somewhat rural area and expect to have peace and quiet, they see a dirtbike and they call the cops, enough of that and it starts getting enforced and coupled with some of the land is county protected land that borders private property and the owner enforce it also.
What makes it even worse is the people who ride with very loud pipes, go on to construction sites, drag on groomed developement fields and in general piss of people. I knew there must have been a reason why I didn't see 7/8's of the people I used to see and some of the trails amost disappeared.
And for the record, the reason why I got chased out once was because of some people that were drag racing right next the housing developement on the powerlines(I saw them on the way down). I rode down the powerlines went along the trails to the deli and came back, and right where the trail went from the develepement to the powerlines was where a cop was sitting. Luckily there was enough mud on the licence plate on my dirtbike(its street plated) that it was almost impossible to read. I disappeared into the woods and didn't get caught. I went back there afterwards, but kept the bike quiet along the development and never again did anything happen. It was the bad apples who were drag racing who go the cops there. Many times I went by the development(on the powerlines) toward so. brunsick, kept the bike quiet and didn't kick up dust and people waved to me. All it takes is the few bad apples to spoil the whole bunch.

sunco
11-21-2006, 06:14 PM
OK, I am glad that you responded to my post. With the back & forth conversation it helped me understand better. I don't feel better. Its the same old story. All we want is just a place to ride. I've done my part somewhat by e-mailing letters- calling gov't reps in NJ & also a member of LVATV club just to show the gov't that we are here & we want to feel included in all the open space that we pay for. ...... That was a nice but sad story you shared w/ us about when it was easier to ride in your area. Life isn't all about the birds & the bees & quiet. Its ok to make some noise. So my prayer tonite will be to ask for some riding area in NJ.