PDA

View Full Version : Need help with swingarm

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 10:42 AM
hey guys i need you help getting my bearing carrier and axle out of the swingarm so i can install the new swingarm that will be coming in the mail.Do I need any speacial tools to get the the sprocket and disk for the brakes and all the other stuff on the axle off so i can slide it through the opening at the bottom of the swingarm? How hard is it to take the bearing carrier out without screwing it up?lol all answers will be appreciated.

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
heres a pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/fastyz85/000_1056.jpg

ImplodedMindZ
11-20-2006, 11:23 AM
First take the right side wheel hub off by removing the cotterpin through the nut, unscrew the nut and pull the hub off.

You turn the axle nuts on the right side of the disc brake hub so they go toward the center of the threaded sleave they are on.

When they are threaded toward each other enough u can see a C-clip on the ouside of the threaded sleve, Pull the c-clip off on the outside of the threaded sleave then thread the nuts off. toward the right side of the axle. the threaded sleave along w/ the brake hub will then slide off (might require some coaxing)

Then if i havent forgotten anything you should just be able to slide the entire axle out the left side of the carrier. you dont need to take the sprocket hub off. use this picture for some more guidance
http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/honda_atv_images/H99TRX400EX40.gif

Anyone feel free to add on if iv fogotten something.

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 12:07 PM
how come I just slide it out from the left side.

ImplodedMindZ
11-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Are you askin b/c u are thinkin it comes out the bottom of the swingarm. like you are thinkin you loosen and remove those 4 bolts and then the whole carrier and axle come out the bottom? Those 4 allen bolts are just ment to tighten and loosen the carrier housing for adjusting chain tension. everything slides out either side of the swingarm. The sprocket hub is also presssed onto the axle too so you cant take that off to slide it off the other way.

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks guys i really needed that after spending 576 dollars on a new swingarm and didnt want to pay the dealer fees to install it.plus i learned some more knowledge of my quad which is always a good thing.

NacsMXer
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
The entire axle and sprocket slides out the LEFT side of the swingarm after you: Loosen the 4 swingarm pinch bolts, loosen the axle lock nut on the right side of the axle, remove the C-clip from the axle, and remove the RIGHT side axle hub. You can remove the sprocket itself obviously, but the sprocket hub is pressed onto the axle like mentioned.

Once you get the axle out you are left with the brake rotor and hub (removed from the RIGHT side), and the brake stay (caliper mounting bracket).

When you get all that removed, then the axle bearing carrier itself can be removed from the LEFT side of the swingarm.

I think it would be a good idea to get a shop manual for your 400EX if you are not sure how to work on it ;) It's ok to be new at this stuff, we all were at one point; but a shop manual will answer many of your questions.

HY400EX
11-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
First take the right side wheel hub off by removing the cotterpin through the nut, unscrew the nut and pull the hub off.

You turn the axle nuts on the right side of the disc brake hub so they go toward the center of the threaded sleave they are on.

When they are threaded toward each other enough u can see a C-clip on the ouside of the threaded sleve, Pull the c-clip off on the outside of the threaded sleave then thread the nuts off. toward the right side of the axle. the threaded sleave along w/ the brake hub will then slide off (might require some coaxing)

Then if i havent forgotten anything you should just be able to slide the entire axle out the left side of the carrier. you dont need to take the sprocket hub off. use this picture for some more guidance
http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/honda_atv_images/H99TRX400EX40.gif

Anyone feel free to add on if iv fogotten something.

Where does #12 o-ring go. One on the axle. Does the other one go around the hub of #3?

HY400EX
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by HY400EX
Where does #12 o-ring go. One on the axle. Does the other one go around the hub of #3?
All set the one goes inside of #3