PDA

View Full Version : Need help replacing swingarm

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
hey guys i need you help getting my bearing carrier and axle out of the swingarm so i can install the new swingarm that will be coming in the mail.Do I need any speacial tools to get the the sprocket and disk for the brakes and all the other stuff on the axle off so i can slide it through the opening at the bottom of the swingarm? How hard is it to take the bearing carrier out without screwing it up?lol all answers will be appreciated.

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 10:55 AM
heres a pic to give you an idea of what im talking about

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/fastyz85/000_1056.jpg

Dupontster
11-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Looking at that picture....On the right side you see the big nut with a jam nut...Loosen the jam nut and run it up toward the rotor....Next turn the main axle nut in toward the rotor too until you see a clip on the axle...You need to remove that clip by sliding it out toward the wheel...(Small screwdriver works well) Then turn the axle and jam nuts off the axle as well..(After you remove the hub)...Then there is a clip that holds the caliper bracket on...Remove that and remove the bracket...Make sure the 4 bolts on the rear of the swingarm are very loose or out completly...Take a big fn screwdriver and open the swingarm crack up a little....The axle and carries should slide out toward the left...You may have to tap the axle to get it to move...be careful not to damage the axle on the end....That should get it right out unless I forgot something..:D
PS....Make sure to use a lot of grease on assembly....Will make it easier next time it comes out....

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 11:24 AM
don't i need to heat the jam nut and main axle nut or can i just loosen them by hand

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 12:03 PM
and what about the left side? Wouldn't it be easier to get the axle out that way? How do I keep the axle from spinning so i can remove everything? sorry for all the questions

4TraxRider
11-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Alright, if i remember right the EX's had pressed on sprocket hubs, so you can't slide it out that way. Take your hub nuts off. Put your chain back on and put the quad in gear, or put your brake caliper back on and have a friend hold the pedal down while you taking the axel nuts off. The axel lock nuts should be able to be taken off with the right wrenches, or a pipe wrench in a pinch. There's a c clip under the axel nut, like said by Dupontster that will come off with small flat head screwdrivers. The lock nuts, and brake disc will come off after that. Then take a block of wood and hit the end of the axel to get it out of the carrier, be careful not to damage the threads. I like to leave the nut on flush with the end to protet them. Loosen all the chain adjuster bolts and tap your carrier out. Then replace everything you need. And again like Dupontster said, lube everything when assebleing again to aid and disassembly the next time.

Dupontster
11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Sometimes those axle nuts can be a PITA....The threads are sooooo fine....You need to find someway to hold the axle...Like 4trax said, you may need to hook the caliper back up and hold the brake....Make sure to do the jam nut first....You may need a big pipe wrench to break it...Remember it screws in toward the rotor...So does the axle nut...That way you can get to the clip...Then go the other way....Clean those threads up good before you start and spray the hell out of them with penetarting oil...Sounds really bad and it can be a ******...So take your time and don't get pizzed and break up something...:D

fastyz85
11-20-2006, 05:56 PM
thanks duponster and 4 trax i actually got it off without cursing the heck out of it and will be able to disasemble everything once i get a big enough socket to take the hub off.then reinstallation is a snap.