PDA

View Full Version : problem with stiff cables

EXSailor
11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm down to the fine tuning of my rebuild, my 99 400ex has the stock thumb throttle on it, and it is rediculously stiff. after about an hour of riding, I start pushing it with my palm. i've ridden other peoples quads, and mashing the throttle on them (yfz, 450r, z400), was like pushing a piece of paper. Will replacing the cable on mine help, or should I try and get a whole new assembly. any recommendations?

And also, my clutch is pretty stiff also, and that allready has a new cable on it, so i'm not sure the cable is the issue. could it be something else,? is there any help there without getting a hydraulic clutch?

bwamos
11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Clutch.. you an get an easy pull clutch perch.

Throttle.. your cable most likley needs lubed.

EXSailor
11-20-2006, 11:14 AM
easy pull clutch perch?

and i've lubed the throttle cable with a liquid teflon and it didn't help much

bwamos
11-20-2006, 11:29 AM
if it's operating smoothly.. and it's jsut wearing your thumb out.. it could be placement.

Other than that.. you can get a TRX90 thumb throttle for an easier pull.

On the clutch perch.. I know a lot of people use a works connection perch. Basically easy pull.. jsut has a different leverage ratio to make it easier to pull the clutch.

Outside of those 2 the only other option is to do some forearm exercise. ;)

4TraxRider
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I use this lever perch combo and love it.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9420&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=189&navType=type

Like stated before, keep your cables lubed. It can also help if you grease the pivot bolt on the perch and the ball?? at the end of the cable. If they begin to gall there is a noticable increase in clutch pull needed.

EXSailor
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
I use this lever perch combo and love it.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9420&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=189&navType=type

Like stated before, keep your cables lubed. It can also help if you grease the pivot bolt on the perch and the ball?? at the end of the cable. If they begin to gall there is a noticable increase in clutch pull needed.

I checked out thtat clutch pertch on rocky mountain, but the bottom of the descripyion it states "MOTORCYCLE ONLY". did you have any issues mounting it up to your quad?

NacsMXer
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Silicone spray is a godsend for cables, it made my stiff throttle smooth as butter.....made it 50% easier no problem.
Just watch the overspray and keep it inside the cable to minimize the attraction of dust ;)