PDA

View Full Version : a arm + shock advice

interceptorz28
11-20-2006, 07:18 AM
so I am new to this aftermarket a arm , shock subject. I def. want to upgrade my front shocks and need to know something about a-arms.
I do trail and woods riding and some jumping (nothing crazy yet) What would be a good set up?
+1 a arms with long travel shocks? or
+1 a arms with stock travel?

Are long travels only for MX?

or should I just pick up shocks and keep my stock a arms?

4TraxRider
11-20-2006, 08:33 AM
If your just trail riding and Rec riding everyweekend i would just get a decent set of shocks. A set of Works steelers, or Elka non rezzies would probably suit your needs fine. If you've got them money though get a set of arms, but they aren't truly needed for recreational riding. LT's arent just for MX.

interceptorz28
11-20-2006, 09:05 AM
So, what is the point of +1's? ...just more stability?

gbcap
11-20-2006, 09:49 AM
YES..purely for stability. you can get shocks for your stock arms and see if that is enough for you...if it isn't you can upgrand to +1 or +2 arms. beware that if you go too wide you won't like trails anymore and you might need to get your shocks revalved for the extra leaverage from the shocks.

interceptorz28
11-21-2006, 06:41 AM
So, what about +1 a arms with long tavel shocks? Will the long travel make the quad sit higher? Would this be a good set up?

parkers30
11-21-2006, 07:43 AM
a 'long travel' does not neccessarily add any travel just so you know. The really should be a called a 'long shock' arm and some builder do call them this. The who purpose is more shock travel to allow for more precise tuning.

a +1 LT setup would be great for xc or normal trail riding if you are willing/wanting to spend the money, but overkill for trail riding

ride height is all about where you set it and how your shocks are built

GIXXER1KR
11-21-2006, 08:38 PM
A long travel will be able to be set to a more plush feel due to the added shock travel.And they are more tunable than standard travel but are a lot more forgiving.A standard travel set up has to be more precisely fine tuned where as LT is more forgiving.As far as +1 or +2 it would really depend on where you ride.I did a lot of trail with riding with +2+1 and am now getting a +2+1 long travel set up.Its also depends on what u can afford.I wish i went long travel from the get go but didnt have the cash.

11-22-2006, 06:25 AM
I got the same bike as you and ride mostly trails. I like my setup (see below) as the front is as wide as the rear

I think long travel is overkill for trail riding.

I think if I had it to do over, I might have gotten teh +2 a-arms, and gone with the 4/1 offset wheels for trails, and 3/2 offset wheels for track.

parts eeter
11-22-2006, 06:33 AM
I am using stock arms with 450 r fronts with the works triple rate spring kit installed(stock valving) They currently work very well but are valved a little harshly for stock arms.I will be switching to plus 2 arms.If you only need a little bit of width you should use ITP 3 plus 2 front wheels.They will add 2 inches to your overall width.This setup will suit you fine.I

interceptorz28
11-22-2006, 07:12 AM
parts eeter, How much is the works triple rate kit? That sounds like a good way to go if it isn't very expensive.

I watched Huevos Grandes before I posted this. It really got me wanting to upgrade my suspension. Do all the guys in these videos usually use long travel shocks for those large jumps and what not? I would assume you would need the LT's for catching big air.

I just want a good trail setup and be able to hit large jumps/ soak up large whoop sections.

parts eeter
11-22-2006, 09:13 AM
I pais 250 to the door but they are for my weight and riding type.Considering they perform wayyy better tha the steelers that cost 375 bux I think this is a deal.I have 450 in my shox and they are smoothhhhhhhhh:o

zrpilot
11-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Adding 3:2 offset wheels will really only gain about an inch from stock 400EX Honda wheels. The stock Honda wheels are about 3.5:1.5. Also going to 3:2 will add to handle bar "feedback" (some people, incorrectly IMO, call this bump steer).

There have been cases of other riders not liking the additional feedback caused by going with 3:2 offset wheels and switching offsets to a 4:1, then getting +1 arms to get the width back.

Not right or wrong, just my $.02.

Originally posted by parts eeter
I am using stock arms with 450 r fronts with the works triple rate spring kit installed(stock valving) They currently work very well but are valved a little harshly for stock arms.I will be switching to plus 2 arms.If you only need a little bit of width you should use ITP 3 plus 2 front wheels.They will add 2 inches to your overall width.This setup will suit you fine.I

atvrider23054
11-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I am kind of new to this also. I have +2 burgard a-arms but for the type of trail riding I do I think I'm going to switch to +1. Not sure as far as Long Travel and what not. I also have Works triple rates with ressies and I love them for the trails I do. They have a smooth ride and are fine for the jumpswe have.