PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad Scatched Gas Tank

danniheyj82888
11-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Well I went riding last week and it was really rainy and snowy so I wore rain gear over my riding gear and it scratched the crap out of my gas tank and the side plastic on my r. It looks like I took 80 grit sandpaper to it. Is there anything I can do to remove teh scratches or at least make it look better? It looks soooo bad. thanks

450R22
11-20-2006, 04:41 AM
I experienced the same thing after my first race! The gas tank and side panel looked like I had sandpaper taped to my knees.
I figured i would wind up putting on a graphics kit to hide them?
From what i see at the track, this is pretty common.

CHEVYZ
11-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by danniheyj82888
Well I went riding last week and it was really rainy and snowy so I wore rain gear over my riding gear and it scratched the crap out of my gas tank and the side plastic on my r. It looks like I took 80 grit sandpaper to it. Is there anything I can do to remove teh scratches or at least make it look better? It looks soooo bad. thanks Not a whole lot that you can do besides just to cover it up. You can always take an extremely fine grade of steel wool and lightly sweep over it to remove the deeper scratches. Then just take the cleaner of your choice (I prefer a Maxima cleaning spray) and soak it on the plastic.

ShiftFMX
11-20-2006, 05:40 AM
My local parts place sells these vinyl sheets that are like 2' x 2'. You can get them in all colors. I think if you bought some of that you could put it on the sides of your tank and have it still be black

gbcap
11-20-2006, 05:50 AM
i wouldn't worry about it or you'll go crazy. never ending battle that your not going to win!

MAD450r
11-20-2006, 06:25 AM
I been noticing that my rear plastic just above my healguards is worse than my tank looks these days. I wanted to replace my plastic cause of this but I think I'd end up with it looking the same way in no time. Its cause of my riding style I guess.

Modded R
11-22-2006, 09:54 AM
anybody ever heard of Mothers? they make polishes, waxes, and cleaners. just use some back to black on all of your plastic and it will look 100% better. just my $.02 :D

rlplive
11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Ya mine looks the same, sparay some son of a gun or any tire foam on there and it will clean it up nice.

gui96
11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
for remove scrach on plastic i have a trick, sand the plastic start with a 300 and finish with 1000 grind , after take a heat gun, or propane torch (not very safe) and heat the plastic they come like new, its work for all plastic

:D

CHEVYZ
11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by gui96
for remove scrach on plastic i have a trick, sand the plastic start with a 300 and finish with 1000 grind , after take a heat gun, or propane torch (not very safe) and heat the plastic they come like new, its work for all plastic

:D I have heard about that. Does it work well? I may have to try it out one day.

sammy5x
11-23-2006, 04:17 PM
As much as I love shiney new plastic, I realized a long time ago that it is an offroad machine and scratched plactic is a badge of well ridden honor. gbcap is right, less time on pretty, more time on riding. :macho

lumi
11-23-2006, 04:50 PM
GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.. honda polish spray for plastic works awesome. spray it on buff it in and wipe it off. the best stuff i have used to keep my plastics in check.... but like veryone said its a never ending battle and the pastics win.... just get a graphic kit, or special pads like stated to cover up spots that like the gas tank and side panels of the plastics that get wore the most for the future.

-lumi

sammy5x
11-23-2006, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lumi
[B]GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!! That is what I really wanted to say but I have to be proffesional. :ermm:

450rJam
11-25-2006, 06:31 PM
go to wal-mart and get some armourall whipes.
rub the plastics down then take a old sock or papertowel and
whipe the excess off.

it works wonders and if you whipe the excess off it dont collect
dust quite as fast, (and it makes it easier to wash after riding)

I have 4 kids and a trash bag of old miss-matched socks for checking oil, cleaning, etc.

hemp450r
11-26-2006, 10:31 AM
don't ride, it won't ever get scratched hahahaha

rollie
11-26-2006, 05:19 PM
i was just looking on motosport.com, they have carbon fiber look sheets that are used for this purpose, i dont know how well it would look on a 450R, but for $18 bucks i might throw it in my next order:cool:

11-27-2006, 07:03 AM
how well do graphics kits stick to scratched plastic??