PDA

View Full Version : Toyhauler or motorhome?

wvspeedfreak
11-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I have been tossing the idea around of getting a Toyhauler for quite some time now because well.........camping in a tent sucks.However,here is my dilemma.I currently have an enclosed trailer that I have fixed up the way I want as far as hauling quads,extra tires,parts etc and I'm wonering if a motorhome might be the way to go and use it to haul the trailer.Now when I say "motorhome" I am not talking about one of those huge doublewide trailers with an engine in it,I mean one that is based off of a 350(1 ton) chassis.
I have found a used (2001) toyhauler and a used (2000) motorhome for sale locally for about the same price.What are your opinions on which way I should go?

Pappy
11-19-2006, 06:57 PM
motorhome.....

you are already set up with the trailer, and the motohome would allow some trips away from the track

1fst400
11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Me and my dad have thought about geting one of them campers that goes in the back of the truck. That way you can still tow the trailer.
IMO, All I would want is a bed, heat, ac. which Im shure come in them truck campers.

firefighterjosh
11-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Motor home.

Toy haulers are nice but if you already have a trailer get a motorhome.

Then you do not have to worry about your house on wheels smelling like fuel oil and crap like that. Also most toy haulers while you are living in it your quads have to be outside I belive.

watts16
11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
We have a motor home and enclosed right now. We really like taking the motorhome. But its a pain if you have to run into town. If you dont have anyone that would loan their truck. We are looking at the Work n' Plays right now. They have all the basics. But sense you have your trailer all setup I would go with the motorhome.

QuadJunkies
11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Motorhome

This is the delima we have right now to.
Its the best of both worlds if you can afford to splurge.

hondaracer31
11-20-2006, 05:41 AM
I too am trying to decide, motorhome or toyhualer. My ? is, can a "class C" (that's the 1 ton chassis) legally pull a 16 foot, 7,000lb. trailer? Anyone know?

gbcap
11-20-2006, 05:49 AM
I would have to say a motorhome for comfort. your going to have a nice seperation from your quads which makes for a better stay.

economically i would have to say get a toy hauler. they are getting nicer and nicer and if you get over like a 30fter then they come with a garage in the back to still seperate you and your quads when you want. or you can roll out the quads and throw up cots to get some extra sleeping room.

a toyhauler is going to get you better gas mileage and give you more versitility when you get where your going. you can unhook and run around pits, go into town or do whatever you want with your truck. you can also put an extra quad or whatever you want in the bed if you don't get a 5th wheel.

you can still take a toy hauler to 'normal' camping events just don't put a quad in the back.

i am personally looking for a 30ft or less toy hauler to pull to races. after pulling my enclosed for a season now it just doesn't cut it when you want a nice comfortable place to sleep. a cot just doesn't compare to a nice bed. i think its the best of both worlds!

parkers30
11-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
I too am trying to decide, motorhome or toyhualer. My ? is, can a "class C" (that's the 1 ton chassis) legally pull a 16 foot, 7,000lb. trailer? Anyone know?

we tow a 24' 10,000 chassis enclosed behind ours all the time. No problems, no questions

If you already have the trailer setup I would stick with it and get a motorhome, as some mentioned a little more usuable for non quad outings, the seperation is big to me and the quads have a place to sleep at night too

Another thing to consider: If you don't already have a 3/4 or one ton truck, with a tow hauler you would have to buy one, motorhomes can usually be had for about the same price as the trucks and insurance and maintenance tend to be less, now combine the truck & trailer $$$ to just buying a motorhome

signboy
11-20-2006, 07:14 AM
We went through this same thing, toy hauler or motorhome. The toy haulers are nice, but I personally like the motorhome and enclosed trailer.

As for towing capability, we drive a 29' class C with a diesel (its older) and pull a 24' enclosed trailer. The RV is a dog on hills but OK on the highway. We may invest in a banks turbo kit for it. Gas mileage does suck though.

That being said, if we did it all over again, we'd do the same thing.

Plus its nice to have the living area seperate from the quads/bikes. I know some toyhaulers have seperate areas but that space isn't really useable but for the quads. Plus, don't you have to keep the quads outside when your sleeping in the toy hauler? I really didn't like that idea

Warnerade
11-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Toy hauler any day of the week. You will always have your truck at the track if you have to make a run somewhere...the toy hauler is made to get dirty, most are setup with a tile floor so they are easy to clean. We had a motor home a while ago and my parents hated taking it on riding trips because it would get trashed throughout the weekend.

You can take a toy hauler on trips away from the track also...just because it has a fold down ramp and space for a quad, doesn't mean you have to put one in it. You can take it on a camping trip and still have the same good time you would being in a real camper or motorhome.

QuadJunkies
11-20-2006, 11:09 AM
I dont think they even make a ToyHauler big enough to fit all our quads in :confused:
thats another reason why a Motorhome works for us,we haul 4-6 at a time and Ive never seen a hauler hold that many .

We plan to race more out of town and state, so it just makes total sense to get a covered trailer and motorhome.

I need a bigger trailer now too. :scary:

parkers30
11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I dont think they even make a ToyHauler big enough to fit all our quads in :confused:
thats another reason why a Motorhome works for us,we haul 4-6 at a time and Ive never seen a hauler hold that many .

We plan to race more out of town and state, so it just makes total sense to get a covered trailer and motorhome.

I need a bigger trailer now too. :scary:

Thats why we got a 24' race car trailer :p we typically take 5-6 and all the stuff for riding trips, just two of us race so I have a 6x12 I use for that

mx428
11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
We used a motorhome/trailer combo for Lorettas this year, and maaaaaan was it niiiiiiice. I'd go with that, especially if the track you're at has unpleasant conditions. This year at Lorettas on wednesday I think the thermometer in the shade said 108:chinese:

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the opinions everybody.I am still undecided :ermm: The Toyhauler I am looking at is a BIG one......37 ft and loaded.I am not really sure I want one that big if I do go that route but this thing is nice.I already have an F350 diesel truck so I'm covered there.My wife wants to go with the motorhome and I'm almost sure that is the way we will go when we can swing it financially.

And to whoever mentioned the slide-in campers that fit in your truck bed,I checked in to those and they are as expensive as a bumper pull camper :huh

mx428
11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
My wife wants to go with the motorhome If you're smart, then your decision is already made :blah:

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mx428
If you're smart, then your decision is already made :blah:

Pretty much lol

Dune Surfer
11-20-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a toyhauler and love it, and it is nice to just unhook and have the truck to drive around. Al ot of my friends have motor homes, and they are nice, more comfy for sure. The one thing that strikes my with you is you already have the truck, I would consider a toyhauler. If you buy a motor home you have an engine to worry about, remember double the milage on a motor home and that is about right for engine wear.

AtvMxRider
11-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Tina I have seen toy haulers with 14ft garages. Jason with a toy hauler you can always park it at the track and leave but with a motorhome you are pretty much stuck there.

AtvMxRider
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mx428
If you're smart, then your decision is already made :blah:

Thats true Jason they control half the money and all the p****:devil:

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider

I hear ya :D

Pappy
11-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Mine must be defective, i dont get half of the money or any of the *****:ermm:

AtvMxRider
11-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

You my friend have problems:ermm:

11-20-2006, 05:12 PM
I've got a 28 foot Work and Play toy hauler and it works out very nicely for us. It has 14 feet of separated cargo area and of course 14 feet of living space. Both sections have ducted heat/air so if you want to sleep in the cargo area, it has a drop down bed for that. When you consider you can pick these up brand new for around $17K, it was an easy decision for me! I can haul 3 quads in the back plus put one in the bed of the truck too. I would cringe thinking about the maintenance costs involved with a used motor home too.

DieselBoy
11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Coach bus with a trailer....
Realstically probably the toy trailer and a motorhome.
dont go too small you will regret it :p

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

Trade her in :p

AtvMxRider
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Trade her in :p

Theres no warrenty on them:ermm:

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Theres no warrenty on them:ermm:

They should make em like cars.....come with an owners manual and blue book value :devil:

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy

dont go too small you will regret it :p

The problem is my wallet will only go so big and it is never big enough :ermm:

Pappy
11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
what are you looking to spend jason?

wvspeedfreak
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Kenny,we are actually just trying to decide which way we want to go right now.It will probably be spring before we do anything.The toyhauler we looked at was $19k.It was a 37ft fifth wheel and it was loaded,slide outs and everything.It was $44k new and it is a 2001 but as near mint as they get.

parkers30
11-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Kenny,we are actually just trying to decide which way we want to go right now.It will probably be spring before we do anything.The toyhauler we looked at was $19k.It was a 37ft fifth wheel and it was loaded,slide outs and everything.It was $44k new and it is a 2001 but as near mint as they get.

with a triler that big and it being a toy hauler you really have to look at your total weight loaded down with water and quads, you may be pushing the weight rating of your truck, they really seem to design the big ones for medium duties

QuadJunkies
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Tina I have seen toy haulers with 14ft garages. Jason with a toy hauler you can always park it at the track and leave but with a motorhome you are pretty much stuck there.
with a motorhome and a 20 hour drive ,its ALOT more versatile forthe kids while driving.
Also, doesnt the haulers weigh ALOT?
14ft is still too small for us if we was to buy one :(
I did see this today... If I could only win the Lottery :(
http://safarimotorcoaches.com/models/safari.aspx?content=index&model=simbafd

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
with a motorhome and a 20 hour drive ,its ALOT more versatile forthe kids while driving.

OMG Starting at $142,000 Wonder what they max out at:confused:

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
with a triler that big and it being a toy hauler you really have to look at your total weight loaded down with water and quads, you may be pushing the weight rating of your truck, they really seem to design the big ones for medium duties

Yeah this one was bigger than most I have seen and my truck is a SRW.A dually would be best for towing this one.

oldskoolex400
11-21-2006, 09:08 AM
motorhome

QuadJunkies
11-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
OMG Starting at $142,000 Wonder what they max out at:confused:
Iver seen some that max at $1MIL.

Just depends on how much you want to deck it out.:eek2:

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Iver seen some that max at $1MIL.

Just depends on how much you want to deck it out.:eek2:

Just go ahead and buy it QJ.It's only money :p

QuadJunkies
11-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Just go ahead and buy it QJ.It's only money :p
lol what the heck.. We wil just sell the house and live out of the Motorhome :p
Houses are over rated,right? lol

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2006, 10:26 AM

:blah: :D

quadmonkey
11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
You already have the truck, so I would say get a toyhauler. Insurance on a toyhauler should be just an extension of your trucks insurance.

I have never noticed the fuel smell in my toyhauler either, of course my quads don't have any leaks or anything, and I never keep gas cans inside of the toyhauler.

Of course I could be just biased in my opinion! :D

http://pimbasworld.com/jls/albums/extreme/toys1.jpg

DieselBoy
11-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Damn quadmonkey, NICE SETUP!:cool:

11-21-2006, 01:38 PM
It's not an extension of your truck insurance, it requires it's own separate policy. If you think your truck insurance will cover any accidents with your toy hauler while you are towing, you are wrong. My new 28 foot Work and Play only costs $175/year to insure, not bad.

quadmonkey
11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Damn quadmonkey, NICE SETUP!:cool:

Thanks!

Originally posted by Kyle_TQRA
It's not an extension of your truck insurance, it requires it's own separate policy. If you think your truck insurance will cover any accidents with your toy hauler while you are towing, you are wrong. My new 28 foot Work and Play only costs $175/year to insure, not bad.

In most cases, if the vehicle pulling the trailer is covered under the policy, the liability coverage will be extended to the trailer if you own the trailer. However, Physical Damage (comprehensive or collision) must be purchased separately.

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Very nice rig Quadmonkey!

AtvMxRider
11-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Tina motorhomes like that are made for a retired couple more than a family going racing. You would be much happier and have more usuable room with a class C motorhome.

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 06:45 PM

The cheapest motorhome cost more then my house now:confused:

JOEX
11-21-2006, 07:21 PM
The cheapest motorhome cost more then my house now:confused:
They cost more than what I paid for both of the houses I bought combined:ermm:

trx400exxracer
11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
anybody got anymore motorhome sights???

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
anybody got anymore motorhome sights???

Googled it (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=motorhomes)

trx400exxracer
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Googled it (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=motorhomes)

i didn't really want to look at the used motorhome sights cause they are a pain to do searcheson. But I was looking for sights like that one posted above!

like weekend warriors website and others

i could google it but i dont know any RV companies?!?!?!

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
i didn't really want to look at the used motorhome sights cause they are a pain to do searcheson. But I was looking for sights like that one posted above!

like weekend warriors website and others

i could google it but i dont know any RV companies?!?!?!

Sorry bout that. I see waht you are saying. Now that you say it I don't ether:o

trx400exxracer
11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Sorry bout that. I see waht you are saying. Now that you say it I don't ether:o

i just thought of
Coachmen
Weekend Warior

but thats it

I been looking into the class C vehicles i would love to have one of those things and have our trailer on the back!

firefighterjosh
11-21-2006, 08:12 PM
not really sure if this is what your looking for but here are some names

Monaco
Bever motor coaches
country coach
Fleetwood
allegro

parkers30
11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Holiday rambler
Fourwinds
Fleetwood
Coachman

I wouldn't say that all Class A's are designed for retired old peole, many are, but there are quite a few that sleep 8-10 also. Nothing beats a Class for a storage and Tank capacities, although they do seem to be more expensive to work on to boot

quadmonkey
11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
You could check out RV.net Their forums have a huge wealth of knowledge on any type of RV.

parkers30
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Our setup from a distance: we are right at the length a full semi

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/parkers30/IMG_0310.jpg

QuadJunkies
11-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Tina motorhomes like that are made for a retired couple more than a family going racing. You would be much happier and have more usuable room with a class C motorhome.

Oh, if I could afford that- I would be retired!! :D
it actually had a nice back end with some storage.
But yes, if we do plan on buying in the near future, a C class is what we would be buying.
alot of the bigger Motorhomes I have to admit dont have utilized space for our needs.
Quads the tow rate on them anyhow?
I dont know much about them,motors,what to steer clear from ect...

watts16
11-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Our setup from a distance: we are right at the length a full semi

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/parkers30/IMG_0310.jpg
Is that at Land between the Lakes?

parkers30
11-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by watts16
Is that at Land between the Lakes?

Correct! nothing beats camping 10 feet from the water :blah:

oldskoolex400
11-22-2006, 08:36 AM
quadjunkies-- we have have a ford chassis motorhome and had a chevy chassis in a motorhome. we preferred the ford it rides alot better and is easier to drive(it isnt all over the road like the chevy chassis) it has a ford 460 engine in it and the chevy had the 454 engine the 454 got 2 better mpg but for the difference in ride and power the ford chasis/motor were well worth the loss in mpg

some good companies
winnebago? not sure if the spelling is correct:o
sellers
fleetwood
holiday rambler

parkers30
11-22-2006, 09:20 AM
the v-10 fords get much better mileage than the 460's a friend with a 31' chateau can get 10, runs around 8 more often, with our carbed 460 we get 5-6

oldskoolex400
11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
you only get 5-6??? how big is your motorhome we get 11-12 with our 460 and the chevy got around 12-14 all highway of course

parkers30
11-22-2006, 09:29 AM
28'

we get about 7-8 empty, 5-6 towing the setup on the previous page, we have a three speed auto and a big ol' Holley 4 barrel

oldskoolex400
11-22-2006, 09:33 AM
oh ok my bad we have a 29' with a 5' slide in the rear ours is a 460 efi

parkers30
11-22-2006, 09:44 AM
the EFI makes a much bigger difference than you would think and you probably have overdrive too

QuadJunkies
11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
how big is your motorhome we get 11-12 with our 460 and the chevy got around 12-14 all highway of course

Heck, thats about all I get with my TRUCK!:scary: We Ave 11-12 when pulling and its not even alot of weight.

oldskoolex400
11-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Heck, thats about all I get with my TRUCK! We Ave 11-12 when pulling and its not even alot of weight.

we pulled a jeep wrangler and a golf cart on a open trailer and got around 9ish
before we got the RV about a year ago we pulled the same thing with a 2500 6sp dodge cummins on the same roads/route and got 16.1 :macho and unloaded we got around 20-21 :devil: i was very pleased with it though thats about the same or better than some of the 6 cyl honda accords

yea it has overdrive but i turn it off on the hills some people ive seen let it switch back and forth i just think its hard on the tranny and makes unnecessary wear

watts16
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Correct! nothing beats camping 10 feet from the water :blah:
lol thought the view looked familiar. We always stay out on that point when we go there.

firefighterjosh
11-22-2006, 06:19 PM
If I would buy a camper I would get a diesel. They seem to get much better gas mileage. Not sure if it is true but diesel trucks get pretty good gas mileage. My buds Cummins got 20MPG stock and my ranger with the 4.0 v6 only gets 16 - 17.

hondaracer31
11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
The best part about a diesel is the pulling power. Diesels have GOBS of torque which is what pulls loads so well.

aci clay
11-22-2006, 07:31 PM
we had a toy hauler and switched to a motorhome. the toybox was cool, lots more room, ability to unhook and leave the track and lot more water capacity. but the wife got tired of driving the h
HD around town 95% of the time and gettin 12mpg. so we sold the toybox and truck, bought a camry for the wife, a 26' class C and a 12' enclosed for the toys. i can fit 2 quads and 2 bikes in the trailer, its tight but they fit, and the motorhome is great for traveling longer distances without stopping for food and toilet breaks. when we go for a day trip we take the trailer behind my tacoma, its light and easy to tow. if we're not riding then we don't have to tow anything and the motorhome is a snap to drive by itself. i get about the same mileage with the V10 motorhome as the 6.0 chevy and the toybox, usually about 8-9mpg and the truck only held 25 gallons, good for about 180-200 miles between fillups. the motorhome holds 55 gallons. Glad i made the switch and most important the wife likes it better.

oldskoolex400
11-22-2006, 07:54 PM
if your going across the country or in the mountains i would get a diesel, if not stick with the gas burner, you also have to figure in the extra price of the diesel it adds at LEAST 10-15,000 to the price in the ones i have looked at
i can buy alot of gas for the 4-6 mpg difference in a diesel and gas burner

not hating on diesels all the trucks i buy are diesels they last longer, however i couldnt see spending the extra money on a RV so with the money i saved i am satisfied with the 460 and the heaviest thing i tow with the rv is a jeep and a golf cart with the trailer

JRP
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
hell me and my dad rock a 6x12 landscape trailer with a 1999 Jeep Cheroke Laredo, who needs a toyhauler or a motorhome?!:p JK, i wish we could afford a nice toyhauler, it would be so much nicer then out landscape on. We are probably going out tomrrow morining to possibly pick up a 7x16 enclosed trailer. Cant wait.:devil:

flht_db
11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
We went the motorhome/enclosed trailer route. Keeps the wife happy to.

Plus we have taken the MH out without the quads.

flht_db
11-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Or the trailer can be used with the truck for local trips.

firefighterjosh
11-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by flht_db
Or the trailer can be used with the truck for local trips.

I really like that truck:)

flht_db
11-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks

JRP
11-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by flht_db
We went the motorhome/enclosed trailer route. Keeps the wife happy to.

Plus we have taken the MH out without the quads.

man, you wanna give that to me?:p very nice setup:)

JRP
11-23-2006, 10:01 AM
well we just got back from looking at trailers, and what do you know we found a 8x24 enclosed trailer for 5g, brand new, looks like thats what we are getting:D :devil: :macho :blah: :)

trx400exxracer
11-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by JRP
well we just got back from looking at trailers, and what do you know we found a 8x24 enclosed trailer for 5g, brand new, looks like thats what we are getting:D :devil: :macho :blah: :)

that sounds like a good price!! and a good size!!!:eek2:

hondaracer31
11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
That IS a good price! I paid $5000 fo a 7'x16' enclosed a few years ago.:grr:

JRP
11-23-2006, 07:33 PM
hah ya its an awsome price, now the onlyt hing is we only have a jeep cheroke 6cyl.:o i dont believe that will do the job. we have a problem, lol

Nick shupe
11-23-2006, 07:39 PM
yea, that cheroke is gonnin be hurtin hauling a 24' foot trailer more like the trailer haulin the cheroke.:D sounds nice though.

AtvMxRider
11-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JRP
hah ya its an awsome price, now the onlyt hing is we only have a jeep cheroke 6cyl.:o i dont believe that will do the job. we have a problem, lol

No kidding that cherokee won't pull it off the lot

JRP
11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
ya i know. thats the problem. Im thinking if we sold the jeep, and my dads old maxima, we might be able to pick up a used truck.:cool: