PDA

View Full Version : exhuast tape?????

ThorR88
11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
where can you get that **** that some people put on there headers of there quad im not sure what it is but im wondering where you get it at thanks....

RRP
11-19-2006, 07:36 PM
try summit racing,Jegs or one of the other car performance parts sites.Its used to wrap aftermarket headers on autos too.

4TraxRider
11-19-2006, 07:56 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=THE%2D11001&N=700+%2D48739+115&autoview=sku

ThorR88
11-19-2006, 08:18 PM
thanks...

lt250rm
11-22-2006, 06:55 PM
not a good idea to use that ****. It causes the motor to run hotter because it doesn't let the heat out of the head pipe.

ThorR88
11-22-2006, 07:01 PM
really i didnt even think about that thanks....

lt250rm
11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
yeah not a good idea especially on something thats putting out some power. Its a real bad idea to use it on car headers because you got all that heat in all those pipes in an engine compartment. You can actually melt a car header with that stuff.

ThorR88
11-22-2006, 07:07 PM
holy ****...i was just going to use a little bit where the headers meet the slip on to amke a tighter seal you know what i mean?

lt250rm
11-22-2006, 07:17 PM
your talking about sealer tape right not heat sheild tape. if your useing sealer tape use as little as possible on the smallest area possible. you should be fine just don't cover your whole head pipe in it.

jonboy
11-23-2006, 12:26 AM
:huh This is the first I've ever heard of header wrap melting a header. Header wrap just acts as an insulator to keep the heat and hot air out of the engine compartment and in the header. It also helps scavage exhaust gases for a more efficient fuel ignition. If you have an engine that puts off alot of heat this will help confine it to the exhaust and help keep your engine cooler from ambient hot exhaust temperatures. I've used this on several bikes and quads and, my Nova's headers. If it was such a bad idea then why do so many racers use header wrap???? I believe that 90% of them know what they are using it for. Oh and by the way, you should be able to get it at Autozone, Checkers, Pep Boys, Advanced, and most other Autoparts stores.:huh

GPracer2500
11-23-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm with jonboy. Not only have I never heard or experienced any of the "engine runs hotter" business, but it doesn't logically make sense. By what mechanism would a wrapped header make an engine run hotter?

jordan_m6
11-23-2006, 09:39 PM
i dont think our little motors can produce the amount of heat it really takes to melt a header.

The wrap is just a cheaper solution to ceramic coating.

440racer66
11-23-2006, 11:59 PM
i know a chick that i race jmx and he husband races late models and he wraped her yfz header with it and she had a hmf pipe on it but the motor was stock it put out a good bit more than it did before i havent found any for mine but she raced it for a long time never had any probs so ill be wraping mine

11-24-2006, 09:12 PM
hey bret its expensive like $50 a big roll and you need to buy the stanless steel zip ties .. i have it on my bike it works great .. the people who say dont use it dont know what they are talking about it helps for a lot of reasons thus is what you will find it on all race cars and it will not make your engine run hot the air does not flow from your exhaust to ur motor its good stuff.. i have all you need to do a 400ex header for $25 if any one wants to buy it!!!

jonboy
11-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Its kind of funny how the tune changes when someone puts the facts on the table:rolleyes:

11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
what r u talking about boy?

2muchquad
11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I have been using it for years...never had a problem,plus it looks trick on the headpipes;)

EricCartman
11-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I used it too ... but on cars. The only time you're gonna run into a problem with it, it when you use it on an application where the header (head pipe) gets wet - and you're using a steel header. The wrap will hold in the moisture and rust out the header pipe QUICK! Since the stock exhausts are stainless steel - ya won't have to worry about it.

Also ... about it "melting the pipe" ... do you realize how how the exhaust would have to get before the pipe "melted"?? The wrap is good, but unless you are wrapping it with an inch thick of the stuff and running with the timing advanced, you'll be fine.

Each roll will typically be approximately 25' length. That will be more than enough to get the whole front head pipe up to the exhaust can done. Hope it helps!

1fst400
11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
The wrap will keep the head pipe hotter.

They say a hotter pipe pulls the exhaust gas out of the motor better. which would make more power.

sandshots
11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
theres no way header wrap is bad. you got dragsters putting out 800hp+ that use it. its design to keep the head out of the engine. your riding boot will catch fire before your header melts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

interceptorz28
12-01-2006, 06:15 AM
EricCartman is right about the moisture thing. Its supposed to be used on race engines. If you had it on a quad for rec use, going thru puddles and whatever wouldn't be good for it. It will get wet and hold that moisture.

1fst400
12-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by interceptorz28
EricCartman is right about the moisture thing. Its supposed to be used on race engines. If you had it on a quad for rec use, going thru puddles and whatever wouldn't be good for it. It will get wet and hold that moisture.

have you ever touched a hot head pipe? I dont think moisture willl stick around for very long.

interceptorz28
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
have you ever touched a hot head pipe? I dont think moisture willl stick around for very long.

oh yeah, you dont think huh. Well why dont you go around and ask some engine builders and racers if header wrap is good for a daily driver.

water or whatever without the wrap will burn off almost instantly.
with the wrap on there it takes longer and therefore causes rust. when you have this happening over and over again it is worse on the headers. But hey, it does have its advantages in racing applications.

JJs450r
12-01-2006, 04:01 PM
ya i know alot of racers run and they dont run a radiator fan lol soo i dont think it will burn nothing up

Kaleigh
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
ya i know alot of racers run and they dont run a radiator fan lol soo i dont think it will burn nothing up

the rad fan is only good when the machine is on idle/stand still.. rads are not need the the machine is in motion..

lt250rm
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Alright lets use our brains here. Just think a race car has a minimum of 4 inch headers and 1 3/4 primary tubes heat rap doesn't affect these headers beacause heat doesn't **** ing sit around in a 4 inch header. And im not talking about a street/strip car with 2 1/2 or 3 inch headers.

And another thing you guys obviously know nothing about drag racing! I drag race. A normal drag car runs for aproxametly 3-5 min at a shot not 3 hours there isn't even enough time to build up that much heat in a drag car so heat rap is there just so you don't burn your hands when your changing or checking plugs between rounds morons.

bwamos
12-12-2006, 07:38 AM
So then why not use a heat shield instead??? They work better.

You also can't tell me that the dragsters pipe doesnt get hot enough Producing 8000+ horsepower for 9 seconds to capitalize on the scavenging effect. That s a LOT of BTU's coming out of that pipe!!! Those pipes get HOT! Trapping that heat in keeps the velocity of the gasses high. Higher velocity = higher torque. Higher flow = higher hp. And you're getting both with a ceramic coated, or wrapped pipe.

The flames from the unburnt nitromethane coming out of the end of the pipe once it hits oxygen reachs 7000+ deg Farenheit.

If there was no other reason to run the wrapping other than to protect against burns when changing spark plugs.. they would simply throw a fiberglass blanket over the pipes when working on it to shield themselves, not wrap the pipes..

bwamos
12-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Here's a decent read on the subject.

Think of exhaust gases as a piston moving down through the tubular system. As each pulse travels down the system, it creates a vacuum behind itself. The negative pressure behind each, is the scavenging effect. As the velocity of the pulses increase, the negative pressures also increase. As you have an increase in velocity, the length of time that you have a negative pressure in the system is increased. The net result of higher velocity to assist in scavenging is increased performance of the intake and exhaust system. Maintaining higher exhaust temperatures throughout the system increases performance in many ways.

Think of exhaust gases as a heavy liquid such as an oil additive. If the liquid were traveling down a tubular system in a cold state, it would move very slowly. If you were to heat the liquid, the density of the fluid changes. The liquid responds to the heat increasing Its velocity. Exhaust gases respond In the same manner. Higher temperatures in a system increases the flow of the system. If the liquid is allowed to cool in the system, It slows down the flow of the liquid. By this Illustration, you can now see the importance of maintaining higher temperatures in a exhaust system.

The Incoming air charge increases due to many different factors. First, the lowering of air induction temperatures and cooler fuel coming into the engine will increase horse power by over 1% per Degree drop In temperature. Other areas of performance are Improved by the increased scavenging effect. Increasing the scavenging effect of the exhaust allows the engine to breathe more efficiently. A engine in many ways is like an air compressor, the pushing of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber creates a condition called pumping losses. This is the loss of power due to the piston pushing these exhaust gases Into the system and out of the system. Increased scavenging not only lowers pumping losses but also allows more efficient clearing of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber. This means cleaner air fuel mixture, this means power. The increased scavenging effect of the exhaust also benefits the intake of air & fuel during the overlap phase of the intake stroke. During the overlap phase, both the intake & exhaust valve are open. The exhaust gases create a vacuum effect which pulls the air fuel mixture at a higher velocity through the intake.

red2004 TRX450R
12-12-2006, 08:46 AM
have you ever touched a car header 5 minutes after a run? they are not hot.

people use header rap for 2 reasons.

1 to keep the hot air out of the engine compartment so the engine pulls in cold air. but i would just use a sealed hood scoop. but it will help keep the starter, and fuel lines cooler.

2 To build heat inside the header for better savaging of the exhaust gases.

I wonder why most race car engines are painted black?

and it will make the headers rust out a lot faster because moisture will get trapped in the rap. remember most of the time the engine is not running.