PDA

View Full Version : powder coating?

bigbadbubba
11-19-2006, 05:44 PM
what would i need to start?

how much is the price of the equipment , is tehre a link to a website that has the equipment, im not talking frames and what not just little things like a arms and that stuff? is it hard ? what all do u need? i want to start doing little things , then maybe get bigger. plze help

atvRiDa400ex
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
^^^^ mee too...

from what i hear there is a "small" P.C. machine to start with and do little things and i think i want one!

4TraxRider
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
http://www.toolsusa.com/auto-body-supplies/powder-coating-kits.asp?UID=3856032100062745

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/powder.html

Found these doing a google search if it helps.

redracing88
11-19-2006, 06:10 PM
this is the one i got

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42802

its simple to use

1. clean the item metal of course by sand blasting or wire wheeling it.
2. hook up the little wire to the grate. (im assuming that its a convential oven so put it on the metal grates and set it on the ground or something) make sure what your powdercoating will fit in the oven before you powder it of course.
3. spray it with the powder caoting system
4. put in oven at preheated 400 degrees and cook for 15 min.
5. take out let cool
6. finished product

if you get it and do it the longest part of the hole deal is cleaning the stinkers.

lol good luck with your decision:macho

atvRiDa400ex
11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
i love harbor freight

but what do you put it on when you put it in the oven?

1fst400
11-19-2006, 06:30 PM
I bought a cheepo powder coat gun and had have wonderful results. It was 150$ from eastwood.

I hang my parts up in a household oven I got from the dump. Dont use an oven you eat out of, makes the food taste funny for a while. I tried it once.

redracing88
11-19-2006, 06:51 PM
thats a toxic taste you had anyways just the grates that are in the oven. i havent hung anything yet ive done some metal plates valve covers plenuim and misc parts on my 400ex but you take put the clean part on the grate and then powder it then pick up the grate slide it in the oven. you just dont want to touch the powder of the thing you did it wil riun it.

1fst400
11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I did the pc on my budies yfz motor. came out prety nice. Cost mabie 20$ of suplies, (powder, tape, plugs.)

atvRiDa400ex
11-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
I did the pc on my budies yfz motor. came out prety nice. Cost mabie 20$ of suplies, (powder, tape, plugs.)

wow thats really nice...

so can i have the link of where you got this?

thanks

1fst400
11-20-2006, 07:31 AM
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=16394&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C458%2C459%2C460&KickerID=345&KICKER

bigbadbubba
11-20-2006, 08:58 AM
so u just lay it on the oven rack? wouldn't it stick or anything when cooking or do u hang it in the oven?

infantry317
11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Just an FYI, I was told at PC school not to powder engine components (blocks, etc.) because it makes a wonderful insulator (he'd seen several blown car engines due to it). Pappy probably has experience with pc'ed atv engines and whether they get hotter due to it.

parkers30
11-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
Just an FYI, I was told at PC school not to powder engine components (blocks, etc.) because it makes a wonderful insulator (he'd seen several blown car engines due to it). Pappy probably has experience with pc'ed atv engines and whether they get hotter due to it.

I believe that is precisely why he will only Molycoat the cylinder and head in many cases

Pappy
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Ive heard both sides of the issues and personally I think it comes down to what the coater feels comfortable with.

Other then color, I cant see any benefit in powder coating a cylinder or head, or even center cases so I use Moly. Center cases can be done, along with side covers, but I try and stay away from doing cyl. heads etc.

With Moly, I get the protection, color and heat dispertion properties of the coating. It is thin and durable and actually does something besides add color.

400exstud
11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I've got the eastwood $130 kit and in my opinion it is worth it. I do my quad and snowmobile parts and now am starting to earn some cash by doing some of my friends parts. It takes a while to perfect your process, but it is IMO easier than spray can because of the lack of runs.

Search your local classifieds for an old ELECTRIC oven. I pulled an old Kenmore out of a guys basement for free and it works perfect.

Good luck. I wish I had some new pics for ya.

atvRiDa400ex
11-20-2006, 08:24 PM
so can i P.C. this and not have to worry about heat issues??

X

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/mestoe/img_1436.jpg

1fst400
11-21-2006, 07:35 AM
that motor has had no over heating issues with all the powder coating done to it. Shure it isnt ideal, but it shure was heck wasent enough for it to amount to anything.

infantry317
11-21-2006, 09:01 AM
You may have to prebake it being it's magnesium (another material I was warned about) and has gas pockets in it? Pappy?
Though I've seen lots of those side covers coated. Man I can't wait for my equipment to show up. :mad:

400exstud
11-21-2006, 03:04 PM
You may have to prebake it being it's magnesium (another material I was warned about) and has gas pockets in it? Pappy?
Though I've seen lots of those side covers coated. Man I can't wait for my equipment to show up. :mad:

Your right in saying that it should be precured. Magnesium is a purous metal that can easily hold contaminants. If you precure it you can burn much of these off and the ones that don't burn off boil to the top where they can easily be wiped away.

Pappy
11-21-2006, 03:32 PM

It is a metal that "outgases"

It is not usually the trapped dirt that causes issues (with magnisium atv parts on the YFZ or 450R) it is the air that is released from the metal as it is heated through the cure cycle. At first, I was redoing parts, but after awhile you realize there is not much you can do after you have done all prep work,wash and rinse and outgased(full heat cycle prior to coating) the part. Its inherent to some forms of metal. This is an advantage paint has over powder coating.