PDA

View Full Version : quad paperwork

clutch22
11-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm gettin ready to by a 250R, and i was wondering if there is, or what kind of papers on the quad I should recieve. such as a Bill of sale or anything like that.

deathman53
11-19-2006, 04:40 PM
a title or mso is a very rare find for them. I would ask for a NOTORIZED bill of sale from them. Make sure the vin number is on the bill also the owners drivers licence number. And before you give the guy any cash fo rthe bike, go over it witha fine tooth comb, you can search for a list of stuff to look for, I will list most important: cracked frame, all bearings, brakes, engine compression, and anything that doesn't look right. Put the bike on it grab bar and check to see if the drain plug has been welded/fixed If the left side of the motor is missing the mounts for the case saver, that is a fairly common thing, but try to shoot him down some for that.

fireburns99
11-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
I'm gettin ready to by a 250R, and i was wondering if there is, or what kind of papers on the quad I should recieve. such as a Bill of sale or anything like that.

Where do you live? If you live in CA i know that they are strict about having papers. It is not fun to try and register it if you don't.

RIZZO
11-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok..So if you didn'trecive papers with the quad......How would you get them ?

addictedtomud
11-25-2006, 05:05 AM
In Ohio, its all about where the quad came from. If you buy a 250r w/o a title, you can go to the title office with a notarized bill of sale. This will contain the previous owner's Name, address, price, etc. If the previous owner lived in another state, certain conditions MUST be met...
1) You must get a VIN inspection. This can be done at any local car dealer and consists of a person filling out a form with the ViN numbers right off the frame and charging you $3-5.
2) The state where the former owner lived must NOT require titles for ATV's. If they do, you MUST have the previous owner title it before they sell it to you. This is a major PAIN!!

If I buy a quad from Michigan or PA and bring my local title office a notarized bill of sale, they will not issue me a title. If I buy a quad from WV or KY and bring them a notarized title, no problem!

By the way...
Don't let people tell you that "250r's did not have titles back in 1986-1989" because they all came with MSO's from the dealer just like they do today. The buyer is supposed to take this MSO and get a title in their state, but most people dont because then they have to pay tax! (In 1986, very few states required titles for ATV's). Then each time the quad is sold, the title changes hands, and the next owner is supposed to transfer the title into their name. But again, most people do not do this because they would have to pay tax. So a title is rare on a 250r because it's been bought and sold so many times over the years and someone along the line failed to properly transfer the title into their name.

Good luck man!!
Kyle