PDA

View Full Version : How Does A Steering Damper And A Longer Steering Stem Benefit My Ride

sonorarider
11-19-2006, 09:29 AM
i have a 89 shee ride mostly desert now vs previous dune riding, i was wondering how a steering damper would improve my ride and also i am 6'1" 180lbs. how does a longer steering stem benefit me, i assume the angle is a lot closer so i do not have to hunch over so much but i have never ridden different appreciate the help thanks...

400ex#18
11-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by sonorarider
i have a 89 shee ride mostly desert now vs previous dune riding, i was wondering how a steering damper would improve my ride and also i am 6'1" 180lbs. how does a longer steering stem benefit me, i assume the angle is a lot closer so i do not have to hunch over so much but i have never ridden different appreciate the help thanks...

a steering damper, would make a pretty decent difference. I never used one till the last 4 races i did. U get way less bump steer, and therefore a little smoother ride. It isn't like a whole world of a difference, but i had a pep, but denten makes a great one. I am short, but i think it just feels way better to have a +1 steering stem for myself. Being tall it would prolly be much more comfortable riding with a +2 for it. Besides aftermarket is way stronger for if you roll it? Sure stocks are cheap, but i went through 3 or 4 during one race season. so i prolly would have been much better off with an aftermarket one that would not have bent.

sonorarider
11-19-2006, 12:14 PM
thanks alot for your advice, i will look into the +2 steering stem and definitely purchase a denton steering damper for the desert race coming up in late february...

400ex#18
11-19-2006, 12:58 PM
no problem man

4TraxRider
11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm 6'4 and I always replace my stem with a +1 right after i bend the stocker. I usually run the tallest bars I can find. It makes a world of difference to be comfortable on your machine. Dampers do help, but as stated before, it's not a huge difference, but noticable.

1fst400
11-19-2006, 06:43 PM
O MY GOD PPL!! bump steer has NOTHING to do with a stabilizer. :mad:

lol sry.

I dident notice a big difrence when I instaled my stabilizer. Till I broke it and tried to race with out it. I was a complete mess without it! I kept sliping off the bars because of the feedback from the bumps.

sonorarider
11-19-2006, 09:34 PM
as far as brands i have narrowed it down to three eyeball engineering +1 fwd +2 taller, lonestar racing +1 fwd +1 taller or maybe a roll design +1 taller, is the +2 to high im only 6'1" 180lbs... thanks...
also which damper do you all recommend between the eyeball eng. or denton racing...

+

firefighterjosh
11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
I am 5 10 and love my +1 stem on my shee. I also went with CR high bent bars.
I never had a steering damp until one day I broke down and bought one.

All I can say is AWESOME!!! I feel so much better going through the woods. When flying accross rutts or hitting roots my bars ussually stay strait. Ussually:scary:

Takes the jerk outta things