PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak

jjm400ex
11-19-2006, 06:32 AM
yesterday while trail riding, i kept smelling antifreeze, i found antifreeze dripping from the top of my resivior. i cant tell if it is cracked or what. my cooling fan comes on, bike overheat indicater did not come on. onyone else run into this??
it is an 06 450er

ghott
11-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Have you checked to see how much antifreeze is in your overflow bottle? Have you checked to see how much antifreeze is in your radiator? You might have too much antifreeze in your system.

Have you recently flushed your system? Are all of your lines free of any obstructions?

Just trying to throw out as many ideas as I can...

450rJam
11-19-2006, 07:20 AM
mine did the same thing,
I checked the level and the impeller to make sure it was all good
then just rode it.

my fan would kick on from time to time and when I would stop for
refreshments I could smell it.

I looked all over and all I could find where a few spots of antifreeze on the lower radiator hose (no leaks could be found)

this was months ago, and I havnt smelled it for a while.
I check everything over before every ride.

Im going to say mine was just marking its territory.

jjm400ex
11-19-2006, 07:40 AM
i havent flushed or tampered with cooling system. the coolant level is at low mark on bottle. i will just continue to ride and keep a close eye on coolant level

ChrisSekerak
11-19-2006, 04:29 PM
mine does the same thing, but only when the front end comes up for a lnog period of time, i believe it's the overflow tube, it just has a couple small drops of fluid when i stop.

450rJam
11-19-2006, 04:40 PM
come to think of it, I was doing alot of long wheelies when mine did it.

not sure how that would effect it (the cooling is a closed system except for the over flow under pressure)

bluebaron
11-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Mine does it towards the end of a race, or when im jumping ramps over and over.