PDA

View Full Version : tips for maitenence on a 2003 400ex

new400exrider
11-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I just got a 2003 400ex, used but doesnt look like it at all it is almost flawless. I want to keep it this way. What are some tips to keep it running perfect? Like the best oil, additives, etc?

4TraxRider
11-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Replace the oil with a quality Synthetic or Syn blend every 5 hours of riding or so, and the filter after every 10 or so. Clean it whenever your done riding. Certain mud will stain the motor and plastics. EX's are great machines and will run great forever if you take a few minutes to care for it. Pick up an ownersmanual and follow some of their instructions, they help a ton.

new400exrider
11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
ok thanks yeah i know it is a great machine, and very fast. Ill be sure to clean the engine after i ride

new400exrider
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
by the way how do you make a good ramp thats about 3-3.5 feet tall that will last awhile? i built one for my little brother on his 90 that was about 2 or so and after maybe a half hour of use it is about a foot now. I want one for me that will last

4TraxRider
11-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I have a few freestyle ramp's I made out of squarestock and expanded metal. ALmost any dirt jump is going to wear down. How quick depends on the way you jump it and what kind of dirt its made out of. If you know how to weld ramps are very easy to make.

redline400ex
11-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Depends what kind of riding you do, Check the oil, chang when dirty, I use Amsoil full synthetic, I check and clean my airbox everytime I go out, If your riding in alot of mud and you notice crap got in your airbox change oil asap. Lube cables, Lube chain, Make sure you clean your bike when you get back from a run, that way you keep it looking new and you will notice if something got loose or fell off..lol I use RedHot to spray on it then scrub it off and use a non silicone dressing for shine. Check bearing play, brake wear, clean brakes, Make sure axel nut never backed off, Make sure you clean your cooling finns. Make sure you check the valve clearance every couple years... Hope that helps... and have fun with her....

250rAL
11-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Take the A arms off and lube all the pivot points, including both ends of the shocks. They come practically dry from the factory.

7t9cbx
12-24-2006, 02:34 PM
After riding in water over the rear bearing carrier loosen the bearing carrier pinch bolts and let the water run out of the bearing carrier. this will help the bearings last longer. Don't forget to adjust your chain.

Joe400ex
12-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Clean ur filter after every ride. Dont miss a time.

lumi
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
clean air filter regulary and oil it well

change the oil with hp4 for every 50 hours or manufacture's recomendation.

also check the valve every imo 100 hours or less depending on mods to the quad and riding style. there a how to on this site.

-lumi

AbnMP13
01-03-2007, 05:58 AM
A good pressure washer is a must IMO.

deathman53
01-12-2007, 06:28 PM
also, remove your swingarm bolt, put anti-seize on it, and do this every 6 months. Trust me, a seized swingarm bolt isn't fun to remove. I have removed 2 already and I am helping friend do another this week.

itismejoshy
01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
like deathman said SWING ARM BOLT at lease once every six months or it will because part of the frame, and make removing the bolt will be impossible without a hell of a battle.

Def-e-nition
02-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Guys , I've searched the How-to's section , no luck in finding someone help me not get ripped off .
I need to open my swingarm and replace the carrier bearings , Honda has quoted me , but :confused: the price is .... DAMN .

so , I am loking for Anyone who knows someone on the Forum , that might provide me with a link in helping me open up to repair the axle bearings ??

Any Help would be appreciatted guys , I really need the help .

Stuart

redline400ex
03-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Download the service manual I just posted that will help you