PDA

View Full Version : Pizza shop. Good or bad idea?

MX MaNiAc 06
11-18-2006, 01:39 PM
I am a Junior in high school. I am undecided what to do with my future which sucks cuz everyone is bugging me about it.

My father had a really good idea. He says i should rent a place in town and open a pizza shop. Im like yeah sounds easy doesnt it? But he has been planning this for years.

Just rent a pizza oven, buy a fridge. Buy ingredients to make crust, find ur favorite sauce recipe, couple different types of cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, maybe a couple other toppings.

For beverages just have 2 liters of Pepsi, Mt. Dew n Root Beer. If i ran out i could walk across the street n buy some from Sheetz.

I could deliver it to anyone in 735 area. Id never have to deliver more than 3 miles. Thats at least 1000 ppl.

I could find a few close friends that a trust to work for me.

But the idea is to keep everything real simple and not get carried away. That is how most places go under.

If it doesnt work out i wont have much to lose. My dad said he would do it himself but he isnt gonna quit his 25 an hour job to open up a pizza shop that may or may not be a success.

What does everybody think? Tell me why or why not it is a good idea.

supafasst426ex
11-18-2006, 01:42 PM
ill work for you lol.
sounds like a nice job and a fun way to live.
i would prolly do it.

are there any other pizza shops around you??

MX MaNiAc 06
11-18-2006, 01:49 PM
There have been 2 in my little town. 1 went under and the other one was great but the guy quit doing it for some reason. The reason i think it would do great is there isnt any around us that will deliver to our town. The luxury of getting pizza is not having to leave ur house.

supafasst426ex
11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
yea do it up then!
whats the name gonna be?

will you deliver your first pizza to buffalo, NY??

MX MaNiAc 06
11-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by supafasst426ex
yea do it up then!
whats the name gonna be?

will you deliver your first pizza to buffalo, NY??

Little far.. I could mail it.

Architects
11-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Pizza place is a good idea. I would expand my delivery radius past 3 miles. Thats nothing. Id do a 10 mile radius. You cant count on that 1000 people ordering pizza everynight. I would want a much bigger population to serve. Just my opinion.

Pappy
11-18-2006, 02:23 PM
As long as you give good service, good food and keep prices reasonable, it will provide income.

Small town shops are great, as long as the community supports it. Far to often the larger chain's (Dominos etc) give folks an idea on what a large pizza should cost and when your $2 higher they get the impression your ripping them off:p

In the small shopping center in town here, there is a small Italian restaurant. It makes some of the best food around. They stay busy, are family oriented and managed and from what I can see are doing very well.

I dont want a pizza shop, but i would love to have a rib shack!:D Smoked meats and fish etc. No one around here offers anything that IMO is good besides the over priced outback and its a 2 hour wait and 40 minute drive

11-18-2006, 02:47 PM
this is exactly what my friend is doing except a little different, he is going to take over his dads company for him, for the first 4-5 years or so he is going to work for him everyday and learn the business, and with the money he is saving from his sons college fund, he can use it towards the business (which could be as much as $100,000)...so then after years he will take over his dads company, his dad will retire and he will continue on with his dads success.

the pizza idea is similiar. with all the money your dad would be saving from you not going to college, it would be like $50,000 which could partially open up a small business, and im sure people would deliver for you, etc. just set up 4-5 4 person tables in the shop, a cooking area and you are good to go...

let us know if it ever works out

orca0294
11-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
this is exactly what my friend is doing except a little different, he is going to take over his dads company for him, for the first 4-5 years or so he is going to work for him everyday and learn the business, and with the money he is saving from his sons college fund, he can use it towards the business (which could be as much as $100,000)...so then after years he will take over his dads company, his dad will retire and he will continue on with his dads success.

the pizza idea is similiar. with all the money your dad would be saving from you not going to college, it would be like $50,000 which could partially open up a small business, and im sure people would deliver for you, etc. just set up 4-5 4 person tables in the shop, a cooking area and you are good to go...

let us know if it ever works out

sounds good but I don't know about your town but around here the town is pretty up tight about seating like a small carry out place can't have seating inside and they charge restaurants for any seating that is outside. Sounds like you got a good plan going there and some of the many pizza places around here are very succesful businesses. Good luck with it and keep us updated once you start to get it going.

416exmx
11-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Not to rain in on your parade or anything, but as a junior in high school, you couldn't have the knowledge of what it would take to run a business like that. Not saying anything about your intelligence level, but the fact that you have taken very few business, finance, accounting, etc.. classes and the fact that your family does not own a business, what business knowledge do you have? (You said your dad works at a $25/hr job so I am assuming he does not own the business). Everything sounds good on paper, but trust me, things NEVER work out in reality like you anticipate them to. Also the average small business, on average, takes something like five years before they get fully established and start seeing profits. I would assume that rent on this building would be quite high, it would need to be remodeled to suite a pizza business, and all the necessary items to open a pizza shop would set a guy back quite a bit. Not only that but what about insurance, health inspectors, government regulations, employee benefits, and any and all of the paperwork that goes with a business? I am not trying to discourage you from doing this, but don’t go to a site and take responses from 13-15yr olds about starting a business. Talk to your banker, insurance agent, and accountant to make sure they are backing you on this and think its a good idea also. Then just start talking to anyone that would have knowledge or experience with running a business and get feedback from them. And most important, go to college so you can have a degree to fall back on if the pizza joint goes under. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though!!!

orca0294
11-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
Not to rain in on your parade or anything, but as a junior in high school, you couldn't have the knowledge of what it would take to run a business like that. Not saying anything about your intelligence level, but the fact that you have taken very few business, finance, accounting, etc.. classes and the fact that your family does not own a business, what business knowledge do you have? (You said your dad works at a $25/hr job so I am assuming he does not own the business). Everything sounds good on paper, but trust me, things NEVER work out in reality like you anticipate them to. Also the average small business, on average, takes something like five years before they get fully established and start seeing profits. I would assume that rent on this building would be quite high, it would need to be remodeled to suite a pizza business, and all the necessary items to open a pizza shop would set a guy back quite a bit. Not only that but what about insurance, health inspectors, government regulations, employee benefits, and any and all of the paperwork that goes with a business? I am not trying to discourage you from doing this, but don’t go to a site and take responses from 13-15yr olds about starting a business. Talk to your banker, insurance agent, and accountant to make sure they are backing you on this and think its a good idea also. Then just start talking to anyone that would have knowledge or experience with running a business and get feedback from them. And most important, go to college so you can have a degree to fall back on if the pizza joint goes under. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though!!!

That is a very good outlook. I am 15 and see where your coming from saying don't come here for advice on a something such as a business. I don't see him giving benefits to any pizza place employee, it isn't practical. Most pizza places around here mostly hire kids. It is a good idea to go to college to learn more about running a business and having something to fall back on. I would take more classes at a community college on running a business if your not planning on getting a degree. Most banks will give you a loan to start a business as long as it has a good plan and goal beind it, I don't see them turning down a pizza shop. Also, if his dad is going to be behind him the whole way his dad can be the co-signer to a loan. The paperwork behind setting up a business should not be a problem because the state will be more than happy to help you open a business. Insurance will be quite a bit but rent will be based off your location, of course. It definately is not cheap around here; Chicago suburbs. I don't think it will take five years to establish a name in a small town as you've explained yours but your going to need to expand to more towns than your own. Do you have a business plan? How are you going to get your name out there? What is going to make you stand out from another company besides your pizza? Have you ever worked at a pizza place? If not, I'd get a job at a pizza place in the other towns around and find out how they run it and if your heart will really be there to run something similar. One good thing you have going is you can live at home until you have something going. Ask yourself, why do you think that other company went out of business and how you could do this differently? Even if you don't make it this will all be a good expierence that will help you through out your life. Take a chance and start the business but make sure you know what your getting into. Good luck!

knighttime
11-18-2006, 06:33 PM
make sure you make the pizza really good

i hate @#$%^ pizza:mad:

MX MaNiAc 06
11-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx

It will be about a year and a half until i do this if i do. So im going to start saving money now. I do not have knowledge of owning a business. But i am looking into it a lot so when the time comes i will be ready. I know it will cost a lot to get the place going but my dad would help me out.

I am also looking into making pizza. If ur going to open a pizza shop the pizza should be original and very good.

gohstmofo6696
11-19-2006, 09:16 AM
yeah im about to be 18 and i work at this lil pizza place in my town, i do everything but own the place. i am an Asst. manager there, i order the shipment from Battaglia every week(the big order of ingrediants ETC... almost a thousand bucks a week :eek2:), i open on mon, and wed, and close on tuesdays, and work on friday night, and open sat, and work later that night and sunday night. its kinda hard to keep up but it could be done, i just thought id let you know your gonna need alot more thinking into this place before it goes up, good luck man;)

MOFO
11-19-2006, 09:27 AM
All this talk about Pizza's got me craving a Pizza!

I think I'm going to order one before I watch the Steelers take on the Browns. :D

yellowzo3
11-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
It will be about a year and a half until i do this if i do. So im going to start saving money now. I do not have knowledge of owning a business. But i am looking into it a lot so when the time comes i will be ready. I know it will cost a lot to get the place going but my dad would help me out.

I am also looking into making pizza. If ur going to open a pizza shop the pizza should be original and very good.

your going to need ALOT of money...i dont think your going to be able to raise enough in a year and a half, even with the help of your dad. people put their houses and everything they own on the line to start a business. 70% of businesses fail within the first 5 years. you need to advertise to draw in your first customers...and if your pizza isnt top notch, they probably wont reccomend you to anyone...i know it seems simple enough, but if your going to do this, it takes alot of money. 416exmx is right...i just started taking business classes and theres so much to learn and consider. do you have a prime location? chances are if your not in a convienent, aka expensive location, customers wont travel out of thier way to try out your place. but you do have te right attitude about having something original! gotta set yourself apart from the rest. definatly make it a friendly, clean enviornment. also try working at different resuraunts to get a feel for the lifestyle. by the way, most businesses dont fail because they get carried away. they fail because the owners do not have the management skills to correctly run a business.

MX MaNiAc 06
11-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
your going to need ALOT of money...i dont think your going to be able to raise enough in a year and a half, even with the help of your dad. people put their houses and everything they own on the line to start a business. 70% of businesses fail within the first 5 years. you need to advertise to draw in your first customers...and if your pizza isnt top notch, they probably wont reccomend you to anyone...i know it seems simple enough, but if your going to do this, it takes alot of money. 416exmx is right...i just started taking business classes and theres so much to learn and consider. do you have a prime location? chances are if your not in a convienent, aka expensive location, customers wont travel out of thier way to try out your place. but you do have te right attitude about having something original! gotta set yourself apart from the rest. definatly make it a friendly, clean enviornment. also try working at different resuraunts to get a feel for the lifestyle. by the way, most businesses dont fail because they get carried away. they fail because the owners do not have the management skills to correctly run a business.

You have some really good points. I dont think money is a big problem. For some reason i think it would do great. There was a pizza place here about 5-6 years ago and i remember when u go in there whatever time of day there is always people there.

I live in a small town. Everyone knows everybody and as soon as the place goes up everybody will have to check it out. About a month or so before i open ill advertise a grand opening. Put up a bunch of flyers in the right places and people will come!

There is a Four star, pizza hut, pizza joes, dominoes about 5 miles away. So i wouldnt expect much from that area. About 8 miles the other way there is 2 pizza places that are decent. But not spectacular. I could deffinately get business from that town.

Other than that u would have to drive 20 miles to see a pizza place from all other directions.

Pappy
11-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Dont be afraid to take chances.

A buddy of mine took his college money, bought a night club(kind of funny, he couldnt legally drink or buy beer etc) and turned it into one of the areas best and largest clubs. He sold it 4 or 5 years later, moved to florida and opened another club and is doing extremely well with nothing more then common sense and a high school diploma

MX MaNiAc 06
11-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Dont be afraid to take chances.

A buddy of mine took his college money, bought a night club(kind of funny, he couldnt legally drink or buy beer etc) and turned it into one of the areas best and largest clubs. He sold it 4 or 5 years later, moved to florida and opened another club and is doing extremely well with nothing more then common sense and a high school diploma

Thats really cool. I was talking to a guy at work about this and he said i should go to New York or some big city to see how they make their pizza. Then take notes on how they make their crust, sauce, cheese to use on my pizza.

Pappy
11-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Working in the field would be most beneficial, along with a few business and food prep classes at a local community colleges.

Most small business fail because they fail to plan. Everyone thinks it is easy, well it aint. The easiest part of running my own business is the actual work, what happnes at the end of the day is the hard part. Thankfully my wife is an accountant and has almost 15 years expierence dealing with the day to day and annual legal and tax junk:p

wvspeedfreak
11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
. No one around here offers anything that IMO is good besides the over priced outback and its a 2 hour wait and 40 minute drive

Mmmmmm Outback :D Sorry you couldn't make it.I had you all covered for dinner.Hope Ryan is feeling better.

Pappy
11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Mmmmmm Outback :D Sorry you couldn't make it.I had you all covered for dinner.

trust me, we were looking forward to trying the one down your way! We are sorry Ryan was sick. Heck, me and cody skipped lunch so we could get our fill:ermm:

We ended up having left overs:grr:

wvspeedfreak
11-19-2006, 05:30 PM
trust me, we were looking forward to trying the one down your way! We are sorry Ryan was sick. Heck, me and cody skipped lunch so we could get our fill:ermm:

We ended up having left overs:grr:

I hope Ryan is feeling better.We'll plan on it again.

Honda400exrox
11-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Try to open it near a local highschool, or public school, kids are like walking piles of cash, especially when there high;) lol jp mods...

MX MaNiAc 06
11-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Theres plenty of kids in high school and middle school in my town that will come. The high school is in the next town where they already have 2 pizza shops.