View Full Version : electrical question.

Ruby Soho
11-18-2006, 12:12 PM
my 99 400ex was running fine, starting fine and everything, and today i went to start it and the electric starter just stopped working. we can push start it and it runs/idles fine, but none of the electrical stuff works when its off. when we have it idling they work, the lights are on but flicker, and when you rev it they go dim. and when you push the start button you hear something like gears slightly grinding in the starter. but the battery is charged.

can you guys please help me out, i just got it, and its already a pain.

thanks

Ruby Soho
11-18-2006, 12:39 PM
ttt

Ruby Soho
11-18-2006, 12:44 PM
the battery has juice and everything, but it runs out real quick.

could it be the alternator or something?

cmon guys please

11-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Battory dead?
Fuse?
loose whires on battory.

Check behind the lights were the whires are. Some 400ex's front light whires rub on the break line mount and end up torn which will blow a fuse. I had a blown fuse from the front lights getting wore through and i could only push start it and when it was running the lights would flicker or only 1 would work.
I had to replace the whire harnes cause it was so bad.

If it is the lights which it probably is put the lights on the off possision and put a new fuse in it. Try to start it and if it starts then its with your lights. If it just blows a fuse again then its probably the starter button.

Also. Their are to whires that run to the battory. If one is loose it will eather not start or it will make a tick/gring noise when you hit the start button. That noise is your battory melting the 2 connections from the electricity (negative & posative).

lpmaster
11-18-2006, 03:44 PM
ya, check your ground, sound like its charging and everything fine, make sure the ground terminal is tight on the battery, and also those worn front light wires is common

11-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by lpmaster
and also those worn front light wires is common

After i replaced the whire harnes i bent that bracket back and its now away from the lights.

lpmaster
11-18-2006, 03:56 PM
try jumping it and see if the started works, if not then the battery is not the problem

Ruby Soho
11-18-2006, 04:24 PM
thanks guys.

we figuired it out, this morning we put on new connections on the battery, and were you put the ground onto it we didnt scracth the paint off of it. now everything works fine.

Mechanixx
11-18-2006, 06:13 PM
OMG you get a gold star for telling us you FIXED it.So many people post on here and never tell us if the bike ever got fixed or what fixed it so thanks.

Ruby Soho
11-18-2006, 07:26 PM
your welcome?:)