PDA

View Full Version : need some clutch help

Saint18z
11-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey guys...so i finally finished building my 88 from the ground up today, starte her up ran fine, fist kick.

so then i went to take her for a ride...I pulled in the clutch...it felt nice and tight, but when i shifted into first it stalled out (this was with the clutch pulled in) so i tried a few other things and i found that even though the clutch feels good it isnt engaging...
anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening..

please hekp asap i really want to ride her

thanks alot
Chris

robyone
11-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Have you inspected the clutch? Is the basket excessively grooved? If the basket is grooved real bad and the friction plates are old.... that could be your prob.

Saint18z
11-18-2006, 08:12 AM
I have yet to take it apart.....the engine wasthe only thing i didnt build....i got it from a guy in texas who said it was just re-done and only had a few hours on it.

would you still feel all that pressure when you pull in the clutch even if the basket and friction plates are old??

Kirt13
11-19-2006, 07:08 AM
I did the exact same thing with my build up a week ago. Mine came out to be the clutch cable. Make sure that the cable on the engine mount part is connected right. I had the two nuts on one side of the cable mount. One nut should be on each side of the cable mount.
Hope this helps you. I'm almost possitive that it's a clutch cable adjustment issue.

86 Quad R
11-19-2006, 07:41 AM
another possibility is if the basket isnt grooved, the clutches will stick to the plates and need to be broke free. this hapens sometimes when there is a lil moister in the case and is allowed to sit for a while. try this..... with the engine warmed up and the tranny in neutral, get the quad rolling and hop on it, shift into first gear and ride around a few minutes, blipping the throttle a bit. if it doesnt free up, you may need to try excellerating/de-excellerating hard to free it up.

Saint18z
11-19-2006, 02:35 PM
yeah it has a brand new clutch cable but the engine mount bracket is pretty bent...im gonna try to bend it back i hope that fixes it.....otherwise i will try to do the acceleratnig/decelerating idea....is it really bad to try to ride it w/o the clutch though?