PDA

View Full Version : what 400 bike to get? kfx ex

ex_rider911
11-17-2006, 08:57 PM
i am getin a new bike and do most all my riden in the woods and i race harescrambles and i was wordrin between the kfx400 and the 400ex wt do u guys thank??

mx1791
11-17-2006, 09:34 PM
the z/kfx is faster and has better shocks, but the 400ex sits lower and its less tippy, and imo its better looking than a z/kfx, if you plan on modding it go with the 400ex, but this is a suzuki section so everyone is going to say get a kfx. really its up to you though, so sit on both of them and try to ride both of them and see what one u like more

ex_rider911
11-17-2006, 10:54 PM
06 i thank kaw and suzki was seperated in 06 but i ant possitve i was lookin at the kfx to day and i can get a left over 06 for 4799 so i was thankin a bout the kfx

indyZrider
11-18-2006, 07:13 AM
thats a good price. i got mine in 05 for 4700 out the door.

mx1791
11-18-2006, 10:59 AM
yea dont pay more than 5g out the door

rrguy
11-18-2006, 11:18 AM
IMO both good quads & pretty close. It will probaly come down to what you feel most comfortable on. Next if you get a good deal on one or your dealers service may be a deciding factor. If you are not into maintenance & ease of maintenance is big the 400ex might be your choice. I have not compared both new machines side to side, let alone rode either in stock form for a few years. The 400ex is probaly close to bullet proof as you get. Now has reverse so pretty close to the Z in most aspects. 400ex is air cooled vs z400 liquid. The Z400 motor seems to respond better to mods trying to squeeze out more power. Yet there is always a dependable vs power battle going on with motors. The Z seems a tad more tippy in stock form, yet not hard to improve that. but both are limited if you want a woods machine. I will give the Z400 1 for having updates shocks on the front. I prefer Honda's choice on carbs, rear carrier/ chain adjustment & valve adjustment. Both have plenty of aftermarket parts available. Honda seems to be cheaper on OEM parts.

northwest Texas
11-18-2006, 07:51 PM
All things being equal i.e. price, I'd opt for a Z400 over the EX mostly because the engine probably has a little more potential later down the line. The Z is a little more technologically advanced than the EX, although that might not necessarily be a plus.

Comparing the 2 bone stock, there's literally no difference between the 2 in handling. They're so close to being the same it's incredible in how they ride. The newer Z's have better shocks up front than previous years (03-04) and definately better thant he EX's, which may be a crapshoot if you're replacing them. I like the narrow seat of the Z over the EX, but that's nitpicking. I like the ergo's of the Honda better overall though.

Engine wise, the Z's will beat the EX every time, but barely. Not by a wide margin but I think you can go into the Ex cheaper than the Z, which has both an intake and exhaust cam. The old rocker style of the EX is simpler to adjust than the shims of the Z, but I think the valve adjustment interval of the Z is longer (not sure of that though). Both engines are rock solid reliable.

For the woods riding you ride, I like the low rpm torque of the EX better but I'm walking a fine line there. The Z has better overrev though.

All things being equal, I'd chose the Z over the EX if I were you. Either decision won't be a bad one though.

For reference, yes I know you said KFX, but it's a green Suzuki Z400.

Also for reference, I ride a 400EX and know it very well. I also know the Z400 very well because my b-i-l has one and a DVX400. I am offering you my unbiased honest opinion. Good luck to you.