PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking out of filter?!?! HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

DantheEXman
09-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Ok, I was lookin at my 400 this morning, and i notices oil around where the oil filter cover sets. Not alot of oil, but definately not normal. The riding i did just before i saw this was mostly roads so it was wide open in fifth. Do u think it just got soo hott that the cover expanded and let i little oil through?? Or do u think it is possibly the o-ring in the cover. I have yet to check the screws o make sure they were just not a little loose. And i am sure there is no cracks in the case where it is leaking from. And i dont want to take the filter cover off because i dont have any new oil to put in it. Please.. I dont want any dumb or non informational answers if you can help it. I am looking for real technical answers. Please help.:(

Doibugu2
09-12-2002, 04:17 PM
You are going to have to take that cover off to see if the o-ring is shot. How else are you going to know if it is leaking?

ratmotor99
09-12-2002, 08:23 PM
you have to take the cover off any ways, might as well put a new o ring in, i'd think they are pretty cheap

Rat

AtvMxRider
09-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Turn the quad on it's side and take the cover off then you won't loose any oil.

Ben
09-13-2002, 05:34 AM
It is most likely the o-ring. I had a buddy of mine whose oil filter o-ring cracked and it started to leak oil, but pretty slowly. There are actually two o-rings in the filter cover, and they problem cost $1.25 for both to replace. It is a good habit to replace them once in awhile so I would do that (get on www.servicehonda.com and look up the part numbers) and see if your problem goes away. If it is leaking from the filter cover this will almost certainly fix it. I won't tell you to change the oil but if you change the o-rings it would be wise to change the filter and oil at the same time. It would cost maybe $15-$20 for the whole deal - and it makes your quad so much happier. :) Good luck and let us know what you find out. And don't torque the filter cover bolts down really tight when re-installing it - I had a friend crack one once and it was a real pain to remove. If you need the torque numbers for those bolts just ask.

oynot400
09-13-2002, 08:21 AM
How long ago did you change you oil? I have noticed if I didn't get all the oil off the cover it will seep a little out when I get it warmed up. If it continues change the o-ring. It is not a bad idea to change it once in a while and put a little oil on it when you put the cover back on. ;)

REC
09-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Dude,

I use FRAM filters in my 99' 400ex and the filter comes with a new o-ring. So I replace the o-ring everytime I change the oil. You should go ahead an change your oil, filter, and the cover o-ring.
Make sure that you do not overtighten the cover bolts. You also should put just a little anti-seize on the threads.
Good Luck and hope this helps.:)

Sportrax10
09-13-2002, 01:29 PM
y not just change the oil and cheak then? then replace it while ur replacing ur oil filter