PDA

View Full Version : hey chevy guys

smokeu400
11-17-2006, 07:33 PM
i have a 1997 cavalier.....i just went to start it and the check engine light and ETS OFF light were both on the motor is vibrating alot.....it does drive.....not sure what is wrong any ideas

TheFontMaster
11-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Check the cylinders for spark. It sounds to me like one cylinder or more isn't firing. I got the head off of my 93 cavalier right now because I had a bad head gasket which turned into a bad head, and the motor only running on 3 cylinders. What was weird with mine was there was no signs at all that one cylinder wasn't firing. But back to your car. Deffinatly sounds like one or more cylinders isn't firing. My first thought is that a coil could be bad.

smokeu400
11-17-2006, 07:59 PM
ehhhh my old nissan did that.....just my luck......i just un-hooked the battery.....my buddy said it restarts the computer.....idk....lol

smokeu400
11-17-2006, 08:06 PM
yep......didnt do a thing.....how do i check for spark......not to sound like an idiot

TheFontMaster
11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Pull the plug out of the cylinder, hook it back into the plug wire, hold the plug cap so you don't get zapped, and touch the tip of the to the head. Also un hook the other plug wires. Have someone get in the car and turn over the motor while you look at the plug to see if it's getting a spark. Repeat that will all the cylinders.

smokeu400
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks for the help i am gunna go try that i'll let you know what happens 2marrow

TheFontMaster
11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
good luck dude.

smokeu400
11-19-2006, 10:15 AM
ok heres an update........started the car lastnight and the vibration is gone.....but check engine light is still on....

MOFO
11-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Pull the plug out of the cylinder, hook it back into the plug wire, hold the plug cap so you don't get zapped, and touch the tip of the to the head. Also un hook the other plug wires. Have someone get in the car and turn over the motor while you look at the plug to see if it's getting a spark. Repeat that will all the cylinders.

Word to the wise...

You need to be very careful with this technique. I've seen guys lose all of their facial hair because gas mixture is still kicked out of the cylinder and the spark plug ignites it.

smokeu400
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
lol one of my friends lost his facial hair playing with a potato gun

TheFontMaster
11-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by smokeu400
ok heres an update........started the car lastnight and the vibration is gone.....but check engine light is still on....

Did you still check for spark? Cause you can still have the car running on not all cylinders, and have no vibration. Also look for any loose vacume lines or wires. If you can't figure out why the check engine light is on, you might have to take it to a shop and have them hook it up to a diganosis computer. Some of these new cars can be tricky like that.