PDA

View Full Version : lt230 problems

stangnsnow2
11-17-2006, 04:07 PM
hey guys im new at this 4 wheeler thing and i got a 1987 lt230e for FREE!! i put a new clutch in it and rebuilt the carb, the problems now is that i can keep the damn thing running....i start it and it will idle for a little bit and then quite...when i give it some gas it die intsantly. the second problem is that the transmission sounds like it is engaging but it still rolls like it is in neutral...any one know what is going on here????

thanks guys,
Steve

Warrior-mx
11-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Well 1st thing your quads sounds like it has symtoms of a clogged piolet jet. Also check 4 ne air leaks jus to be safe. to test and tell if ur quad tranny is ingaged. Put it in nuetral and rev it up if it jumps forward at all or even moves u need to adjust ur clutch cable. ANd there should be no tension on clutch arm entering the case. How old is ur clutch cable?? If its realy old it might be stretched and need replacing also.

motomanmike
11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
lt230 e Does not have a manual clutch. Its an aut shift deal with the centrificul helper clutch, it has two clutches in the motor. It will roll forward in gear but usually will not be turning the crank of the engine over. The running at idle is carburator pilots for sure.

red426ex
11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
my dad has an 1987 230 quadrunner as well and his runs amazign and is actuslly pretty fast at least i thought it was when i was younger now obviously with a 483 kit on a 400ex and stuff racing it doesnt seem like that anymore lol but the 230 has an automatic clutch manual shift and you should be able to roll it back and fourth when it is in gear no problem and if you start off in a higher gear 3rd or 4th it might make some different sounds as the clutches are workign really hard and slippng because they cant engage very well..... as for the quitting on you its deffinatly the main jet or pilot jet or both take the carb apart clean it and see what happens also check your jet size make sure its about right for your piston size/ mods you have done to it dont go lean but dont go to rich either. rich is always better to start off with because you will jsut foul plugs wheras lean you could blow her up if your too lean so start rich and work your way down to perfect....

hope this helps