PDA

View Full Version : no oil on the meter! wtf

hks308
11-17-2006, 02:36 PM
this is so weird...

alright here is the story. i changed the oil about 2 weeks ago and everything went well and i put the right amount of oil in 1.95 liter. and today when i check it after i ride around the streets real quick just a little is on it. so i go and buy some, when i get back i start it up let it warm up again and then check it, nothing on the stick. so i put some oil in... start it up, nothing on the stick... put more in,.... nothing, end up putting it all in,..... and still i have nothing on the dip stick. so there is a total of 3 quarts in the 400ex. this seems so weird to me. like, where is all the oil going...?

anyone know whats going on, or have had this happen to you?

250X_project
11-17-2006, 03:13 PM
First off, you really shouldn't run it when you know it is low...but you don't see it leaking?

hks308
11-17-2006, 03:20 PM
there is no oil leaking, nothing on the ground. nothing. and arent' you subpost to turn it on and let it warm up? so it can't be bad, but not good. just where the oil is going?

250X_project
11-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Well have you ran it sense and lost oil again?

JOEX
11-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Proper method for checking the oil in the 400ex motor:

Start motor, let it fully warm up
Let it IDLE for several minutes, this is very important
Shut off the motor
Let it rest for several minutes, also very important
Remove the dip stick & wipe it off
Reinsert dip stick but do NOT screw it in
Remove dip stick and check the level

If the individual who is performing this task is a dip stick, remove the dip stick:devil: :p

hks308
11-18-2006, 07:12 AM
thats exactly what i do

Jared Coderre
11-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Just throwing out a couple of scenarios here........

1. Oil filter is clogged and preventing oil from returning to the reservoir
2. Screen in oil reservoir clogged doing same as #1
3. Pick up screen under crang clogged causing same as #1 and #2
4. Major pressure in case because of combination of #1, #2, and #3 forcing oil out of overflow under seat and or valve cover vent
5. There is an oild hungry troll in your crank case that feeds on oil
:devil: