PDA

View Full Version : changing the timming chain

stalefish_132
11-16-2006, 08:44 PM
i'm goign to be changing the timing chain on my buddies Z this weekend and i'm wonderign if there are any tips that somone can give me? i've done lots of engine work before and he has a service manuel on order i'm just wondering if there are any tricks to doing it?

thanks

TampaBoy813
11-16-2006, 09:39 PM
I just did mine for the 1st time...I have to say it was super easy..the only tip is..the gear that the lower chain is on...needs to be taken off with an impact gun and it is reverse rotation....other then that is was easy.
Are you going to adjust the valves as well?

stalefish_132
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
thanks for the tip, his valves were justed about 15 hours ago, we'll check them to see if they are in speck.

does the lower chain sprocket have to come off? could the chain not drop down from the top and be pulled out the bottom? i've never seen the inside of a Z dut i've done this on my EX. i guess i'll find out tomorrow.

thanks

TampaBoy813
11-18-2006, 05:03 AM
yah it has to...the lower guide bolt is behind the gear...and to get the chain off the one guide has to come off..its not hard..that was the only thing I had to have some one @ the tire shop zap off...cause I did not have a impack gun..

rrguy
11-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Its been a few days for me, But I usually checked the chain guides & clutch, while in there. With them removed I do not remember having to remove the bottom sprocket.

stalefish_132
11-18-2006, 02:37 PM
well thanks for the tips, its no problem taking off that sprocket with an impact. thanks for lettign me know its reverse threads. woulda took me a while to figure it out. thanks

xraven35
11-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Be extra careful with the clutch cover gasket, it rips really easy.... but all in all i was suprised how easy it was the first time i changed mine.