PDA

View Full Version : rev box problem.

slipp
11-16-2006, 07:51 PM
i bought a srp cdi rev box..

ill tell my story, ill try to keep it short.

my bike: 11:1 wiesco, stage 1 cam, jetted w/ pipe.

bike was running great, with stock cdi box

i installed SRP CDI box, fouled a plug after a couple gal. of gas
at wide open throttle the bike would bike fire, shoot out blue flames and kill on me, i would have to let the bike sit for a minute or so before it would start up again

so i thought, maybe its running rich or it was maybe running out of fuel (per tip from the guy where i bought the cdi box, he told me it was running lean and i needed to increase my jet size by 2, but my plug was BLACK ).. my poilot screw was at 1 1/4turns out. i turned out it more to 2 1/2turns (making it richer) still no dice

i reinstalled the stock box and turned the pilot screw in to 1 3/4, bike ran well, just stumbled a little bit at wide open throttle, so i turned it back to 1 1/4 and all is back to normal

why would the rev limiter be effecting my a/f ratio? it seems to me the bike started running rich, OR the rev box wasnt producing a hot enuf spark to burn my fuel, (i run 102octane 50/50 mix of 112 and 93).

any ideas or experiance with this?

cals400ex
11-16-2006, 10:05 PM
many of the aftermarket rev boxes will make your bike hard to start.

troutman561
11-16-2006, 10:13 PM
A CDI shouldnt be affecting your jetting... sounds like you should stick with stock for now... I also have never heard of this brand, maybe it isnt a good quality thing?

jordan_m6
11-17-2006, 04:33 AM
you probly got a bad cdi. I bought my hotshots cdi back in october of 05 and have not had any problems from it. Still have the stock cdi just in case though. the cheaper brands can have problems and are know to stop working. Never heard anything on the more expensive ones though.

slipp
11-17-2006, 05:38 AM
thanks for the info guys, maybe ill try returning it for a new one or maybe getting a refund for a "good one"

this is the one i have
http://www.magicracing.com/SRP-CDI-Rev-Box--TRX400EX-99-04_p_132-32.html

there are so many out there i really dont know which one to get..

vett_09
11-17-2006, 08:25 AM
You may have been fouling plugs because of a voltage regulation problem due to a bad capacitor causing you to not have proper spark. I've heard from other people the White Brothers CDI box is junk, and someone else on here said that White Brothers and Big Gun use the same supplier for their CDI boxes, so you might want to stay away from Big Gun as well. But I don't have any experience with either of them, so that's not my personal opinion.

dariusld
11-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by vett_09
You may have been fouling plugs because of a voltage regulation problem due to a bad capacitor causing you to not have proper spark. I've heard from other people the White Brothers CDI box is junk, and someone else on here said that White Brothers and Big Gun use the same supplier for their CDI boxes, so you might want to stay away from Big Gun as well. But I don't have any experience with either of them, so that's not my personal opinion.

I have a White Brothers. It was $60 and never had a problem and my bike pulls hard.

Kaleigh
11-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
I have a White Brothers. It was $60 and never had a problem and my bike pulls hard.

I found that my WB would stumble at WOP.. I went down a jet size and that fixed the problem..

81 clark racing
11-17-2006, 04:31 PM
i had wb and it shorted out and caused problems starting in no time. imop there 100% junk waste of ur money. spend it some where else