PDA

View Full Version : firefighter

honduh440
11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
been thinking about appying.... what are some pros and cons?

troyleepred719
11-16-2006, 06:57 PM
ive been a firefighter for about 3 years. IM a volunteer firefighter in NY. I am a Pump Operator?Driver, and and Emt. It all depends on the person, on whether or not your going to like it. I joined when I was 16, and am 19 now. I am up to possible become a Lt. within the next month or so.

Pros:
People- People look up to you. You are the "hero" and within the fire dept, comes a brotherhood, that can not be found anywheres else.

you become a better person, ad tend to think about others saftey without noticing.

Cons: If you have a big heart, you will pay for it. Although you help people, you will dela with emotions too. If youve ever made a call at 2am in the morning for a medical, and arrived on the scene, to do 12 minutes of CPR on a 3 year old cancer paient, with her parents right there, and knowin that she cant be saved, youll wanna drop it all. Or when you have to fight 6 hours of fire, because some guy passed out drunk, and burned his house out with a cigarette, youll think twice.

It all comes down to this, there are no real pros and cons, its all in the person. Dont exect to apply and go into the fire, or be a hero, you have months and even years of trainng in order to become that person. Youll be makin all kinds of calls, and youll see lots of stuff, and youll have to deal with it. In the end, for me its worth it, cause of the person it made me, but I,m not you, and I cant decide for you. But If you dont like, it, you can drop it too. Give it what you can, you ever know, but either way you wont regret it.

Joshua Hays
FF/EMT

LostCause439
11-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Ive been a firefighter for a lil more than 5 years, It will give ya something to do when your bored that if for sure, and also meet and help alot of people

I was a firefighter in new orleans for almost a year that was prolly the most fun and most fires i have ever run right after hurrican katrina, now im back in nj , nowhere near the action as there

Architects
11-17-2006, 01:34 AM
Ive been thining about trying this firefighter thing out. Anyone have advice on how to get started.

RSWORDS
11-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Architects
Ive been thining about trying this firefighter thing out. Anyone have advice on how to get started.

Find a Vol. Station and do that for a while before you go paid... I've been a Firefighter for a long time and it's not for everyone. Hard work and even harder emotions, You WILL see things tat no one should ever have to see in there life... You WILL be draged out of bed at 2 in the morning for some BS call... You WILL have to give Thanksgiving and X-mas dinners with your family to help other families... You WILL have some of the best and worst times of your life... You WILL make some of the best friends you will ever have... You WILL make those people part of you family...

I WOULD NEVER GIVE BACK A DAY IN THE FIRE DEPT!

initall
11-17-2006, 07:59 AM
I have been vol for over 4 years now, it is one of the best experience i have had. But like others have said, you will see some of the worst things, you will form a brotherhood you can't explain. It will change your outlook on things.

Go for it

I love it.

Quad18star
11-17-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm not a firefighter myself , but I have a couple buddies that do volunteer firefighting and they all love it . They enjoy the people they meet , they enjoy helping others and enjoy making a difference in peoples lives .

The things they hate most about the job are the dreaded 2am calls that get them out of bed to go onto an accident scene and try to rescue people that are trapped . They've had to go to an accident scene which involved 4 people that we knew and grew up with since kindergarden class . Two of our friends died at the scene that night while my buddies tried to keep them alive . It played on their emotions for quite a long time , and even now when talk about the accident comes up they have a hard time dealing with it . :(

There's pros and cons just like any other job .

troyleepred719
11-17-2006, 01:06 PM
pm me, well find a way to chat or something, theres alot of things you should know, and i could maybe help you out on where to go, and what you should expect...

miller821
11-17-2006, 02:31 PM
My dad's a full time firefighter, and his schedule is sick!

Schedule- Work a full 24 hours in the station, Next day work a full 24 hours on call, only coming to the station if a fire or such, Then a full 24 hours off.. Not to mention the O/T he gets their.

But he just goes one day, then spends the other two days at home doing other stuff, or going to the base... When he's on call you can only go so far, that if your needed you can go to the station quick, but I'm thinking about coming one.