PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some engine help.

Robin Hood
11-16-2006, 04:39 PM
So I have come to the conclusion that my quad needs a new top end. Seeing that it is 5/6 years old without any new pistons/rings or any of that good stuff, I have decided that it's time to put some work into my engine.

Now I have been presented with some options that I want to sort out before I actually tear this thing apart.

First, I have been told that my cylinder has probably self-bored itself out, honing it to a displacemnt over 660cc's. Now the two options here are as follows:

1. Buy a new cylinder (off ebay, dealer etc..) and keep it stock, no worries here.

2. Buy a sleeve/bore kit and jump it up to a higher displacement and benefit with a little more power where I want it.

My question to you guys is, what do you think is the best option? I really wanted to bore this sucker out, but I don't know where the more power/less reliability line is because I haven't had experience with bore kits before.

I was thinking a 686 kit would be perfect, and the highest I want to go is a 727.

If anyone has any imput I would really appreciate it. Any other parts you guys list will also be purchased and installed.

ex. Hot cams, valves, porting. All that good stuff.

Thanks,
Steve

PS - Any information on where I should get these parts and where to send my engine would help me a ton. :D

dunny_mark
11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Dude, If you want a new top end, just put a new piston and rings(maybe high compression) bore that puppy out to the next size up, and while your in the motor , maybe throw a more aggressive cam in . With a aftermarket exhaust , rip the air filter lid off - some fine tuning that will really wake up your quad.

hskers82
11-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Go to Bluetraxx.com it has alot of info on this in the forum for the raptor.

Good builders are Craycraft,Kenz,Barker but just look it up on there and you should find everything you need to know