PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex p-brake

John Pennella
11-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I was just wondering, after seeing that thread with the broken parking brake, if anyone is haveing trouble with their parking brakes on the newer model 400ex. I know my brake on my lakota just got rusty and not able to function before I really used it but the set up was cheesy any way. Are their any issues that have to be addressed with the 400ex p-brake. Thanks for any replies.

jordan_m6
11-16-2006, 04:05 PM
parking brakes on the 400ex are junk and worthless. leaving them on doesnt cause any problems just a waste of time and material they are made out off.

Hondabeefast
11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
my dad has an 05' 400ex and the parking brake sticks once it is on and you try to release it,parking brake on a 400ex are garbage

hornetgod13
11-16-2006, 04:33 PM
I have to aggree with these guys. The park brake is pretty labor intensive. I have to constantly adjust mine. Not the best design, that's for certain. I seldom use it. You could always leave it in gear when it's parked if you're worried about it rolling away.

underpowered
11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
parking brakes on quads are useless. constantly need adjusting. take it off, throw it as far as you can and leave the biek in gear.

ImplodedMindZ
11-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Will leaving a bike in gear really cause undue stress on the gearbox like everyone says, b/c i thats what i do just leave it in get in the back of my truck when transporting for like the 15mile drive to the place we ride.

underpowered
11-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
Will leaving a bike in gear really cause undue stress on the gearbox like everyone says, b/c i thats what i do just leave it in get in the back of my truck when transporting for like the 15mile drive to the place we ride.

rocking back and forth in teh truck, yes it will. but jsut using it to hold on a hill, no. it is the rocking motion in your truck that causes damage, slamming the gears. i always tie mine down in a truck, even for jstu a short trip. only another few minutes to save possible damage.

John Pennella
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow i'm glad I asked cus I thought that the brakes were good when I used it at the dealer. It seemed to be solid but thats because it didn't do through all the sht they normally go through in a trail. Ya all the manufacturers have to wake up and design a good parking brake because it is a huge safety issue aand it would be a good thing to have instead of leaving the bike in gear while transporting it.
Does any one know if the yfz p-brakes are good? Just curious.

JOEX
11-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Homemade Parking Brake:

Zip-tie the lever to the handle bars.

NacsMXer
11-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Homemade Parking Brake:

Yup I do that whenever I trailer mine. Zip tie the front brake, tie it down front and rear and that thing is SOLID, ain't goin nowhere ;) I remember learning about this from a pic of an old Baldwin racing 250R back in the day.

It's reusable too, if you leave enough slack to take it off yet still hold the lever in enough ;)

Dirty Erni
11-28-2006, 03:30 PM
I have a 400 ex 2005 for 2 months the pk brake is broke already. It clicks but doesn't lock in park.. How do I fix it..

11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
any time i bring a new quad home fomr the dealership, a parking brake block off comes with me...it gets changed before i even fire the engine myself for the first time

MO-EX-RIDER
11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Homemade Parking Brake:

i will have to try it next time the bike gets hauled!