PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Parking Brake

heavyonthegas
11-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Below is a photo of my parking brake and rear caliper. When I bought it used, it came like this. I can't help but think there are a few parts missing. The p-brake cable flapping in the wind raises a few flags.

I was hoping someone would be willing to post a good clear picture of what it is actually supposed to look like. Most of my lewt is going into new front shocks and my broken bearing holder - so if I can buy just the parts I'm missing, it'd be a big help.

Thanks!

Oh, I did look at the exploded diagram on servicehonda's interactive parts fiche, but it looks like some things aren't matching up? Could it be this is not the stock brake assy?

Chino886
11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
you can spend $10 to get a Parking Brake blockoff, it will be cheaper then buying replacement parts!

hornetgod13
11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Looks like someone's red neck way of removing the park brake. Many owners remove the cable entirely and put a metal block on the back of the caliper "block off". Most park brakes require constant attention to stay operable and some don't think they are worth the hassle.
www.bikebandit.com carries stock parts for all types of bikes and ATVs. I was able to pull up the schematic on their website. The parts you need are simple to get and very inexpensive if you want to get it working again. I attched the schematic so you could see for yourself.

jordan_m6
11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
It just looks like your bolt #25 and the nut #28 rattled loose and fell off. just spend the $ to get the block off. The parking break only works 3 or 4 times before having to adjust it again.

heavyonthegas
11-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Ok, thanks guys.

I think I'll just buy the block and remove the cable - one less thing in my way. I read the later posts about the p-brake, and I always tie-down when i transport, but if i really felt more was needed, i could zip tie the brake lever.