PDA

View Full Version : What suspension upgrade do I make first???

erikb
09-12-2002, 09:47 AM
What's the first SUSPENSION modification you should make to a 400ex???

Axle?

Front Shocks?

Rear Shock?

A-Arms?

exriderdude
09-12-2002, 10:18 AM
if you plan on gettin a-arms, then you need to get your a-arms and shocks at the same time. but if you dont then it doesnt matter. the first thing i would do is front shocks.

Texan32
09-12-2002, 10:44 AM
definately front shocks. But like Dude said, what kind of arms are you thinking of? If you only plan on gettin +1" arms, then regular length aftermarket shocks will work fine (thats what the Quadshot told me when i ordered my Elka's). But, if you think you are going to go with +2 or +3's, get the shocks and the arms at the same time. That way, the shock builder can match up the spring rate and valving.

09-12-2002, 10:49 AM
I went

1. lsr axle
2. PEP shocks and LSR +3+1 at the same time
3. Rear Elka Shock

It worked great for me

erikb
09-12-2002, 12:06 PM
I am thinking about going with +2 a-arms. I don't want to get too wide because I ride a lot of trails, but I want to get wider than stock because I do a lot of jumping and might try my hand at racing...

Is that a smart choice?

Will the stock shocks work for a little while with +2 arms?

Texan32
09-12-2002, 12:46 PM
they will "work". When you go with wider arms, there is more preasure put on the shock durring compression. Thats why shocks set up for +2 arms have different springs (maybe different valving too). So, if you do go with arms first and use your factory shocks, i would think they would just bottom out alot easier.

Also, see if you can get on a pair of quad running +1 and +2. Its all about what feels right to you. There are too many here that swear by their +2 arms...on the other hand there are just as many that will vouch for +1 arms just as strong.

I myself do mostly trail and rec riding. Therefore i plan on getting only +1's. But like i say...its your money!

yamaha1470
09-12-2002, 01:12 PM
I dont get how u guys get all this money. Say you get +2 a arms. then u need shocks. then ur gunna need an axle to widen the rear too. if u want a swing arm then u will have to get a new rear shock too.

Im thinkin about gettin +2's and front shocks and ridin like that for like a month till i get more money. Can i ride with just the front widened? Then if u get a swingarm and axle dont u need to get like a new carrier or somethin. Its sooo much money for all this. i wanna be rich.

erikb
09-12-2002, 01:17 PM
DUDE! We all want to be rich!!!

I don't have the money to do everything at once...that is why I was asking which to do FIRST.

You are right though...all this stuff is EXPENSIVE. I only have about $800 to play with...that's why I want to know what I should do to start out.

Razorback
09-12-2002, 01:22 PM
if you plan on getting +2 a-arms, get shocks first, but get them setup (valved) for the +2 a-arms. they will work fine on the stock a-arms, they just won't ride as good (will be harsher) until you get the new a-arms. axle would be third on the list. i wouldn't worry about the rear shock unless you get serious about racing. the stock rear shock is sufficient in most cases compared to the front shocks.

erikb
09-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Razorback -

Good info...thanks!

Which shocks should I get??? I might try my hand at racing, so I want them to be good enough to do that. But, I don't need anything top-of-the line...

Do I need rezzies?

lil400exman
09-12-2002, 01:47 PM
well i think that de risi's are nce so are works they got anything for anyone price range man! elkas are awesome!:devil

Texan32
09-12-2002, 02:49 PM
...just be carefull about asking what are the best shock.....like a said about the +1 guys vs. the +2 guys....there are ALWAYS gonna be those who say AXIS kick but and everything else sucks. Well, that is just an opinion. Reguardless of what you buy, it is DEFINATELY goint to be better than your stock shocks.

Personally, i have a set of Elka SSD tripple rate's with remote rezzy's and compression adjust. I absolutely love these shocks. I only wish i had spent the money on these first (as apposed to my motor mods). I will not vouch for any other brand, since i haven't riden on anything else. But for me and my money...Elka's are the bomb!

erikb
09-12-2002, 02:57 PM
How much did you pay for your Elkas and where did you get them?

Tommy 17
09-12-2002, 06:57 PM
736 for mine from quadshop....

bluebaron
09-13-2002, 12:55 PM
mine were $ 450 w/ ssd triple rate

Texan32
09-13-2002, 01:12 PM
$725 from the quadshop

erikb
09-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Where in the heck did you get Elkas for $450????

cdalejef
09-13-2002, 03:08 PM
He got the economy's.

Nausty
09-13-2002, 04:12 PM
i don't feel like reading this entire thread to see what everyone has written but whatever you do, don't slack on getting cheap shocks if you mx or xc. I would suggest pep zps shocks over elka. I say get your front shocks first and get them valved for whatever type of a-arms your gonna be getting and then as soon as you can get your a-arms, after that get your rear shock. I would suggest not slacking and get it right the first time and last time. Pry get a pep duel rate rear shock. Then axle, but that doesn't make any differant on suspension unlike swingarm length. I wouldn't really suggest getting elka and thats what I got and its much better than works but they just don't seem right even though I have spent lots of time trying to adjust it to get it right but its not coming together. I thought pep's were much better and they cost like $30 more. I'm seriously thinking of selling my elka's for pep's or axis long tavels.