PDA

View Full Version : new-?'s, looking for real answers

YZROOSTINYA
09-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Hello,

I have a 02 400ex with the following mods:

wb pro meg full exhaust with 8 discs(comes with 12)
k and n air filter w/outerware
4 one inch holes with screens in airbox lid
155 main
stainless front brake lines
itp fronts with 23x7x10 acr bandits
stock rear rims with 22x11x9 sur trax
pro taper bars with vertex adapter kit to stock steering stem
prm swinarm skid
rear brake block off and solo clutch lever
a 9 spark plug(the stock is a 8, i forget the exact part #)
hp4 w/out moly 10w-40

I am about to purchase a 416 kit which includes:
3 angle valve job
mild port and match
xr400 cam
11:1 piston
all gaskets and labor
heavy duty cam chain
new valve seals

is this worth it. it will cost me $800
its from www.profabatv.com
has anyone heard of these guys? do they do good work. seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

hopefully someone can help me. all the other sites are a bunch of kids asking what slip on will give them 20hp.

also, does anyone make ti valves/springs/retainers for the 400ex. looking to lighten up the valve train to make it a little rev happier. also what can be done to smooth out vibration beside balancing the crank? i ride fairly aggresively with a 2 stroke style(like to slip the clutch and rev motor) i ride woods and hill climbs and jump. basically looking for all around power with a motor that has somewhat what of a midrange-high rpm hit to it. nothing crazy just better than stock.

my bud has a 11:1 (stock bore)with an all around web cam and heavy duty springs on stock non surfaced rockers and i really cant tell any differance other than it revs a little more. i want more than that though. he has the same exhaust and k and n.

i like the reliabilty of the 416 since it is not that big of a bore on the stock crank. should i chose a diff cam? dont want to hard face the rockers as it is like 300$ will prob end up runnin a 50/50 gas/race gas mix in the hot summer and just run pump in the colder months. any input is greatly appreciated.

also what does pulling the choke from the carb do? more flow or sumpin? does this make it a b... to start? would a fcr carb help with this kit? dont want to spend more tha 1200 incliding shipping. maybe i should do it myself and just send the cylnder out to get bored and use that loot to buy better parts? i just dont feel like doing as i am busy and just lazy right now.

lil400exman
09-12-2002, 08:09 AM
not a slip on given ya 20hp thats crazy for a 400ex 1-2hp is doin pretty good also with that technique in that pic i really donbt think u need mods and welcome to exriders!

JabberJaw
09-12-2002, 08:13 AM
I love my 440! I have not rode a 416, but everyone here seems to like the improvement. Anyone that has done this will recomend it, so there must be a substantial difference.

YZROOSTINYA
09-12-2002, 08:23 AM
thats cause you you cant see my face!:devil

09-12-2002, 09:56 AM
I am about to purchase a 416 kit which includes:
3 angle valve job
mild port and match
xr400 cam
11:1 piston
all gaskets and labor
heavy duty cam chain
new valve seals

is this worth it. it will cost me $800

NO.

To explain think of this. 416 11:1 piston kit 125.00, machine cyl. 30.00-80.00 decent cam 130.00 , valve job. 50-100.00, guides 50-80.00, timing chain 35-50.00, gaskets 25-45.00, mild porting cleanup (dremmel) 45.00 "real" porting 300.00.

Labor can be cheap if you can do some work yourself, other wise expect to find from 50.00-70.00 an hour.

Now here is where it gets interesting, you could save from 150.00-300.00 plus but to get the results you say you are gonns need some more $$$$$$$.

To get the hp up in the rpms you are going to want a diff cam and thats gonna need shorty guides, hardfaced rockers, better valve springs and add about 400.00 plus. then you will need to port it to match your high rpm power band.

the list will get pretty long. If you are seriously thinking about doing all this I would suggest doing a search on the 416, 426, 440, cams, porting, decking etc cause there has been some good threads in the past on this stuff and dont forget carbs and valves.

Have fun.

PS if your the guy who just posted on the TC/TRi thread bring this up when your there.

Extremeracer167
09-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Ill say it again, and this is jus tmy opinion, and a few guys that are winning at the nationals.....give TC racing a call. With his GNCC midrange grind cam, i got ALOT more power midrange it was unreal. Didnt have to hardface the rockers, or get new springs and retainers and that stuff. Just got the cam, TC exhaust, bored it out got a 3 angle valve job, and i can hang with a few buddys that have 440 kits. Look on the GNCC website, Frank Grimplin in the Open A is winning that class. Traci Cecco, Greg Trew, those guys run it. And MX u ahve guys like Creech, Luburgh, and Gust. His stiff is really impressive. i think so anyways. www.tcracingengines.com

Taking the choke off your carb isnt the only thing u have to do, when they do that they also do some other mods too it, makes it flow like a true 36mm carb. The stock carb is a 35mm but flows like a 33 mm. More airflow=more power. But yes it does make it a pain to start when cold. But alot of times when u go with a diff. cam, u dont really have to choke it to start it, u will when its cold, but mine is always getting completely rebuilt when its that cold.

Ide go with the 39mm FCR carb. HUGE DIFFERANCE!! the 41mm seems to be too big for just a reg hop up kit. It works good with a stroker kit, but anything 440 and under ide go with the 39 or atleast get the high flow mod.

Hope i helped. Oh another thing, get some air scoops for it, my company sells some really good ones for about half the price of OMF ones. We sell scoops and mounting kit $30 for colored and $35 polished. e-mail me if your interested. It helps when u have engine work done, plus it looks cool!!
yota1524@hotmail.com

YZROOSTINYA
09-12-2002, 12:26 PM
now i see, i though the stock carb was a 38. do you have to go to a twist set up with this fcr carb? is the lectron a good carb?

Extremeracer167
09-12-2002, 12:40 PM
I dont know if u have to go twist or not.

The lectron carb is a MX carb......which on a 400 isnt good cause it doesnt have an accelerator pump, and its pretty dead on the low end. Stick with a carb with an AC Pump.