PDA

View Full Version : Other ways to jet a carb

notjoe
11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Is there any other/better ways to get your jeting right, other than the spark plug test.

hornetgod13
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
It's the only accurate way that I know of. Jet kit manufacturers have recommendations to get you close but, altitude and temp vary greatly from place to place. The plug test is the only way to be certain.

firefighterjosh
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Dyno:)

GPracer2500
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
I mostly jet by sound and feel. Doing timed roll-ons will actully get you jetted for best power more accurately than plug readings (or at least as accurately as an experienced plug reader).

Like firefighter said, a dyno (especially if it has a/f data) is the ultimate jetting tool.

Kaleigh
11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
what I did was.. go up get sizes til your machine stumbles at Wide Open Throttle.. then go down a jet size... this is the quickest way to jet..

firefighterjosh
11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
what I did was.. go up get sizes til your machine stumbles at Wide Open Throttle.. then go down a jet size... this is the quickest way to jet..

I did that too but your still ussually running a little too rich.

GPracer can explain that one really we'll:)

Kaleigh
11-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I did that too but your still ussually running a little too rich.

GPracer can explain that one really we'll:)

:macho

slipp
11-15-2006, 09:56 PM

mine stumbles a little bit at wide open throtle, i figured it was just the rev limiter..

n e one care to explain the spark plug test method? does it involve a tach that reads off your plug? if so i read in the book about that, but i havnt gotten a tach to test it with yet..

firefighterjosh
11-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by slipp
mine stumbles a little bit at wide open throtle, i figured it was just the rev limiter..

n e one care to explain the spark plug test method? does it involve a tach that reads off your plug? if so i read in the book about that, but i havnt gotten a tach to test it with yet..

This is how I did it on my banshee.

1. Held my banshee at WOT
2. Hit the kill swtich while at WO
3. Pulled the plug
*if your plug is......

Black/wet - your too rich
Tan/Brown - Perfect:D
White - Too Lean

What you can do is just ride your quad around and then pull the plug and check it. But That is how I learned to plug test the banshee cuz it was suppose to be more accuarate with the main jet.

2004exrider
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Same here!

Jimmy