PDA

View Full Version : neighbors keep yellin at me need help with a quieter silencer

ridesa02400EX
09-11-2002, 10:33 PM
i have a friend that has a supertrapp ids II on his 400EX he really needs a quieter silencer because his neighbors keep yelling at him and he wont be able to ride if ppl keep complaining he is really considering a fmf power core IV Q silencer but it is pretty expensive any help about a quite silencer would be appreciated

kuz400ex
09-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Does your friend still have the original stock pipe. I have a spare one if that is what he is looking for.

NJ300ex
09-12-2002, 02:02 PM
Replace the packing. That will quiet it down some. You should really do that every 6 months or so to keep noise levels down. He could also get a quiet core insert. His best bet though would be to just put the stock pipe back on. Pipe's don't deliver a lot of power for the money anyway.

400exdad
09-12-2002, 08:03 PM
Got knocked offline! So I'm typing this again. :(

I am always worried about noise, probably too much. You can tell by the use of DG 250R silencer on the LT80....... Anyway, can you get to a "happy place" with sound and power? I think I did. Do most of Gabes pipe mods. You can do a search and find his post that explains it. My suggestion is to do the front, inside pipe mods (you need a welder) and do the rear pipe mods like 4punks suggested with a arc welder cranked up to blow thru one of the inner chambers in the rear. The bigger the whole in the rear, the more noise you have, so go fairly light and work your way to "your happy place". Another suggestion is: Don't do the spark arrestor mods. It reallys does a lot of work in quieting down the exhaust note.

While mine may not flow as much as an aftermarket, or as much as Gabes, I am happy with the power increase and the sound. A little louder than stock and it RPM's much easier now.:cool:

ratmotor99
09-12-2002, 08:13 PM
tie a rope to the front end and the other to your drunk buddies, Problem fixed... LOL just messen with ya... repack it or stock pipe

Rat

ridesa02400EX
09-12-2002, 09:35 PM
bought it used and dont have a stock pipe

brokeitin3
09-13-2002, 06:02 AM
If your friend wants a cheap way out, by still using his supertrapp pipe, I can tell you how to make it run almost as queit as the factorty pipe. PM me if you are interested, it wont cost over $50.00