PDA

View Full Version : powder coating nerfbars?

bluebaron
09-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Do u people think it would look good to powed coat nerf bars. and if so what colors, i planing on getteing black plactic what color would go wit that?

Pappy
09-11-2002, 09:36 PM
what color is your frame? nets? are the nerfs beat up? can ya polish them out insyead of powdecoating them? i will be doin a set this week..i will post ya a pic maybe give ya an idea of what they will or would look like.

bluebaron
09-11-2002, 09:38 PM
yello frame, black nets

Pappy
09-11-2002, 09:41 PM
well...im partial to red...but maybe do them in black or chrome...cuz sooner or later they gonna get beat up a lil. its up to you..pick a color you like..lol

L.Vegas400
09-11-2002, 09:45 PM
how about that heat shield kenny?

Pappy
09-11-2002, 09:46 PM
me and that heatshield are fighting...lol. i have tried 3 diferent ways and am not having any success:( the tape is working ...but i cant sem to get the flame look. any ideas?

Pappy
09-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
how about that heat shield kenny?

ok i got your email...i will send ya apic in a day or so, thx!!:p

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-12-2002, 01:27 AM
I personally would never powder coat my nerf bars, all its going to do is chip/scratch, and look like crap. At least with the bare aluminium finish its harder to notice. JMO...

Pappy
09-12-2002, 07:11 AM
i agree..thats why i asked him if they could be polished....but some nerfs are pc from the factory and you really dont have n=much choice when they start lookin ruff.

lil400exman
09-12-2002, 01:59 PM
take the nerfs off and put sish-kabob sticks in there and then put rubber bands between themand viola you cant paint them and put happy stickers all over them! lol :p yeh just think 1 good race and a guy gos rubby rubb and them and they are gone!oxidizing them black might be a option tough......hmmmmm i need to try that red oxidizing paint........ i am a fart smeller i mean smart feller!

Pappy
09-12-2002, 03:20 PM
here is a pic of 92 250xer's nerfs. they were dg steel powdercoated from dg a pale blue....now they are almost chrome with clear

Pappy
09-12-2002, 03:22 PM
close up

bluebaron
09-12-2002, 04:23 PM
i dont think i am going to pc them.

Pappy
09-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by banshee_ex07
i dont think i am going to pc them. \

i wouldnt if you have ac pro pegs....get some polish out and make them shine.

Sparks425Ex
09-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Personally i thikn polished stuff is the best. If you can polish it then do it. I polish everything that i can.(Rims Throttle Cover,Master Cylinder Cover, Nerf Bars, Handle Bars, Anything else.) I wouldn't get them pced cause they will just get beat to **** and chip and not look good after a ride or 2. JMO

Pappy
09-12-2002, 05:55 PM
im with you all on polished nerfs..but....some people do not race..and ride in areas that dont beat up their quad. they dont ride mud or tight woods ...or bump into everything they see!!

the pc will hold up quite well...although polishing the nerfs and then applying clear over them would help keep the polishing to a minimum. chris waters is doing that ...and it looks great.

sandslinger101
09-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I agree about the more you can shine the better, but i have a 400ex and have had a sandrail for over 12yrs and i also like lots, lots, lots of shiney parts. recently i replaced my fuel tank on my rail with a full polished tank and as soon as i got it i sent it down to get power coated in clear :D that was in march and all i have to do to make it shine like new is to wipe off with cleaner. approx. 35-45 seconds! WOW i love the clear coat compared to straight alum. because as soon as air hits alum it starts to dull up and tarnish due to the air. granted i know how hard it is to keep alum looking like a mirror :( my rear wheels or the rail are 15 by 15 lots of surface. but to sum it all up i am totally pleased with the clear coat over polished alum. it may loose 5-10 percent shine but i dont have 3-4 hours extra every time im planning on going to the dunes. thanks and like to hear from others who have cleared powercoat. ps i had mine done at a professional shop also and it cost my 35 dollars for the fuel tank 10 by 33 inch tank.

Pappy
09-12-2002, 06:53 PM
cool...chris said something about having to add a chemical or treating the aluminum..but im not sure. i have done small stuff as a test and it seems to kick *****. i geuss i will have to do my side cases and try em out:D